Print Server for epson sx200

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigvern, Dec 14, 2009.

1. bigvern macrumors member

I am trying to find a print server that works with the epson sx200 all in printer

The netgear ps121v2 looks OK however netgear do not list the printer as being supported same is for the d-link server.

Epson only recommend there own server at £140 mmmm !!!!

As any body tried the netgear or d-link with this printer

PS I only have one printer which I want to share with my imac and macbook pro via a netgear wireless router

Thanks

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Because of Epson driver limitations (legacy Carbon driver, not modern CUPS driver), you will find it easiest to connect the printer directly to the iMac, and share it. The only drawback is that the iMac needs to be On for printing.

3. bigvern thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I thought about that but could not work out how to share a printer.

Have you any idea how to set it up

Thanks Chris

PS have you had any snow in chicago yet, wet and miserable in the UK !!!

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

We had 2 inches last week, but today it's 37°F and it's all melted.

Yes, I can help you set that up.
    First, you need a CUPS (modern) driver. Update the gutenprint drivers that came with your Mac from here:
    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php
    Buy a print server that says it supports standard TCP/IP printing or IP printing. TCP/IP raw port 9100 (called IP > HP Jetdirect on OS X) is the easiest to setup, because it doesn't require a queue name (it uses port number to specify which physical port). IP > LPD and IP > IPP are "supposed to" use queue name to specify which physical port is in use.
    (Even though you buy a print server with only one output port, remember that the standard comm protocol was designed for a computer serving a hundred different printers. Queue names provide that capability. But 10 percent of print server devices don't require queue name, confusing everybody...)

The print server's manual will give you/show you (in a figure) the device's queue name - typical ones are P1, L1, LPT, print, etc. Some devices have the queue name on a label, making the queue name something like the serial number.

Setting up the IP address of the print server is hopefully automatic or explained in the manual - most print servers have a method (like maybe a test button) to print out the server config on request. You'll need that.

HTH

5. bigvern thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I will check out the spec of the netgear PS121v2

6. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I don't have a PS121, but from what I've read, it may OR MAY Not use standard protocols! The install guide from v1 never says which protocol it uses, and says the software requires Windows. The software probably wouldn't be needed on a Mac anyhow, but not mentioning the protocol cripples this product - in my view. Are there any others available?

Wait! I just found some Mac and linux success stories. Use queue name of P1 (pee one), and protocol choice IP > LPD.

7. bigvern thread starter macrumors member

checked the install guide for the PS121 v2 and it does support TCP/IP protocol

The link with the new drivers will this allow me to use this server ???

8. bigvern thread starter macrumors member

Have had another reply from a different forum suggesting using the apple airport express as a print server, never thought of that and it is not much more money

9. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

The benefit of the Airport Express is that it uses Apple Software to redirect the USB output from computer direct to the USB port on the A/Express. This means, you can use the manufacturer's USB-only driver and don't have to install any new CUPS drivers.

On the other hand, Apple software updates mess up A/Express printing more often than standard-protocol CUPS printing.