Print Service Privacy

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
Hi,

I want to do some prints, particularly a phonebook. I'm worried about companies attempting to claim rights to my photos. Any company out there that is quality that doesn't do this type of bs?

Thanks for any help!

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I think what he's trying to say is that he's worried about a print on demand company from using his personal photos he's taken without proper licensing, as in paying him to use it, or he's worried about his secret Batman cosplay getting out into the wild and being teased about it.
Yes - companies have sneaky ways of attempting to steal personal IP. They’ll say oh yes you can use our service, but uploading pictures for us to print constitutes letting us use those photos forever. I think I saw recently that Shutterfly as a similar licensing issue where if you sign in with Google/FB they download your photos and assert licensure to use them forever. I used to use Apple’s print service but now who the **** can I trust?
[doublepost=1547640364][/doublepost]For example:

In the event that you post or upload to the Service, or otherwise submit to or through Shutterfly as part of your use of the Service, any materials including, without limitation, photographs and other images, text, graphics, videos, visuals, sounds, data, files, links and other materials (collectively, "Submissions"), you will retain ownership of such Submissions, and you hereby grant us and our designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, distribute (through multiple tiers), create derivative works of, and publicly display and perform (publicly or otherwise) such Submissions, solely in connection with the Service (including without limitation for purposes of promoting the Service). Please note that, while you retain ownership of your Submissions, any template or layout in which you arrange or organize such Submissions through tools and features made available through Shutterfly are not proprietary to you, and can be used by Shutterfly and others for any purposes. You acknowledge and agree that you have no rights in any such template and/or layout, and such template or layout shall be the sole and exclusive property of Shutterfly.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
North America
I don’t know if this is in the ballpark, but I read that Miller’s Professional Imaging is popular. It specifically addresses ownership and respects ip and ©.

https://www.millerslab.com/home
That’s actually what I was just looking at. They do only want to work with professionals but have a customer-facing site mpix as well. I actually reached out to ask and got an email back saying they don’t do the things I’m worried they’d do. So that’s good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.