Print Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by duck33, Mar 13, 2008.

1. duck33 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you able to hook up print sharing with XP? Currently, I have HP PSC 1610 All-in-One printer hooked up via usb to my xp computer. I want to be able to print from my new, old MBP. My MBP is connected via wireless.

If this is something that can be done can someone please post steps?

Thanks,

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Do I have a story for you. My FIL has an XP desktop with an Epson printer connected to it. He also has an XP laptop. He's tried for months to print wirelessly to that thing and has been unable to do so. I opened my MBP, accessed his system, chose Windows printing in print dialog and found his printer and printed to it. I suspect you can do it with little trouble, but I'm not a Windows guy.

3. duck33 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. However, I'm not a mac guy at all. I have now clue how to add or access any of this from my mac.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Make sure printer sharing is turned on with your XP computer (and that your computer does not sleep). After that, open System Preferences on your Mac and choose the Printers & Fax pane. Click the '+' to add a new printer. Click on the Windows icon. You'll have to drill down to your printer (and may have to enter your Windows password). Once you find the printer, select it and your Mac should find the printer driver for you in a series of pull-down menus. After that, add the printer and give it a name. From this point on, it should show up in all of your printer dialogs. Keep in mind that your XP machine has to be on and awake for your Mac to print to that printer.