Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
Hi. I have the new Mac Pro 2009 (Quad 2.93) -- I have Vista X64 installed via Boot Camp. I just installed VMWARE and set that all up. After rebooting back into my boot camp partition I get a Print Spooler Sub System Error every time I boot up. This only happens after I install VMWARE. Anyone else have this problem? I have a Dell 3115cn Laser Printer. Thanks.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
To get this correct; this error happened after installing VMWare? As in, you did not get the error before?

Sorry, I could just be being mental, but I remember getting the same errors in Vista x64. I never did fix them - there is a "hotfix" from Microsoft, which goes through a detailed, step-by-step process of fixing the problem manually, but you have go to into the system directory.... I did not have much success (Thank the Gods for system restore... lol) However, in my case, I only got the spool error for a financial program; everything else worked.

I personally don't know whats up, and probably can't even find the hotfix anymore. If you are using some strange older 32-bit program for printing, I think that XP would be better. ((Not saying that one is better then the other, but repeating the general mantra that Vista has some backwards-compatability errors)) Speaking of compatability errors, it could be something interfacing with OSX. You've installed drivers for the printer on both OSes? That could eb a prob.

My $.02

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
To get this correct; this error happened after installing VMWare? As in, you did not get the error before?

Sorry, I could just be being mental, but I remember getting the same errors in Vista x64. I never did fix them - there is a "hotfix" from Microsoft, which goes through a detailed, step-by-step process of fixing the problem manually, but you have go to into the system directory.... I did not have much success (Thank the Gods for system restore... lol) However, in my case, I only got the spool error for a financial program; everything else worked.

I personally don't know whats up, and probably can't even find the hotfix anymore. If you are using some strange older 32-bit program for printing, I think that XP would be better. ((Not saying that one is better then the other, but repeating the general mantra that Vista has some backwards-compatability errors)) Speaking of compatability errors, it could be something interfacing with OSX. You've installed drivers for the printer on both OSes? That could eb a prob.

My $.02

Thanks. I appreciate your response. I too had this error on my last Mac Pro with Vista X64 after installing VMWARE - I never figured it out but did follow the same hot fix as you referred to with no luck. I use Vista X64 on 15 Dell Workstations with the same printer and they work flawlessly, it's always after I install VMWARE that I run into problems. The printer works perfect in OSX as well. Maybe I should check VMWARE support forums. At any rate it's very frustrating. Thanks for the help.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Same problems here with 32-bit Win7 on my new quad. Just figured it was a 7 problem. I don't have any printers installed and am not trying to print, but it throws up a error message 5 or 6 times during the first 10 minutes or so after logging in. Don't know if the spooler is trying to restart. It eventually stops. I haven't had the time (or inclination) to dig into it. Could you post back here if you figure out a solution?

BTW, did you get a new octo too (in your sig)?

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
Same problems here with 32-bit Win7 on my new quad. Just figured it was a 7 problem. I don't have any printers installed and am not trying to print, but it throws up a error message 5 or 6 times during the first 10 minutes or so after logging in. Don't know if the spooler is trying to restart. It eventually stops. I haven't had the time (or inclination) to dig into it. Could you post back here if you figure out a solution?

Sure - hopefully someone will find this post that has had the time to solve it and can help us out. Do you have VMWARE installed as well? Thanks.

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota

I had the 2.26 Octo and sold that and bought a Quad 2.93 -- The Quad feels much snappier for what I do, or have done so far. Vista X64 is extremely fast with the Quad vs. the 2.26 Octo. I also use VR's for boot drives so that helps. I have 8GB RAM in my Quad - do you know if 6GB runs better due to the way DDR3 utilizes RAM? I'm very happy though.

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
The spooler error only started after installing VMware. I was running Win7 for a week or two with no problem. I had never used VMware and it doesn't appear to work correctly for my intended uses (AnyDVD, DVD Shrink). The VM locks up when trying to open DVD Shrink.

Yeah, I decided to go with the 2.93 quad too. Very happy with it. Of course I upgraded from an old Pentium IV 2.6, so pretty much anything would have made me happy. VR for boot. I currently have 6 GB with another 2 GB stick sitting on my desk. It looks like for most things there's no real difference between 6 and 8.

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
The spooler error only started after installing VMware. I was running Win7 for a week or two with no problem. I had never used VMware and it doesn't appear to work correctly for my intended uses (AnyDVD, DVD Shrink). The VM locks up when trying to open DVD Shrink.

Yeah, I decided to go with the 2.93 quad too. Very happy with it. Of course I upgraded from an old Pentium IV 2.6, so pretty much anything would have made me happy. VR for boot. I currently have 6 GB with another 2 GB stick sitting on my desk. It looks like for most things there's no real difference between 6 and 8.

Sounds like we have very similar systems. My print spooler error occurred only after installing VMWARE - with both this Mac Pro and my previous 2.26.

If I restart the service it immediately crashes again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.