Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fca1968

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
I just bought a Toshiba satellite laptop with Windows 7 and am trying to set up my printer. I have a Canon Pixma MP500. I'm using my airport express for the router. I have no trouble connecting to the internet. It works perfectly. The problem is trying to get my printer to work with the airport. I've tried creating a new port with the ID address but my printer does not show as an option. Of course I can't find the installation cds (figures!). I have been able to add the printer under the local printer, but then I have to go back into the set up network/blue tooth option and it recognizes it. But then when I try to print it says that something is in the print queue blocking the current printing, but there is nothing there. Very frustrated at this point. Any ideas?

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
There are two print connection protocols supported by the A/Express - Bonjour (Bonjour for Windows download from Apple) and HP Jetdirect, called raw port 9100 on Windows. I don't have Win 7, so I can't give you detail of the setup, but on XP you just go to Ports > Configure port to check a radio button to make it raw port 9100.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I don't know about messing with ports and such, but the easiest way that I've found to get WinPCs running with Airport printing is to use Bonjour.

Make sure you have Bonjour installed on your Toshy. Then install the printer via USB ... if you don't have the printer CDs, then download them from the web. After making sure you can print via USB, there should be an option to print to the Canon via Bonjour.

ft

fca1968

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
I don't know about messing with ports and such, but the easiest way that I've found to get WinPCs running with Airport printing is to use Bonjour.

Make sure you have Bonjour installed on your Toshy. Then install the printer via USB ... if you don't have the printer CDs, then download them from the web. After making sure you can print via USB, there should be an option to print to the Canon via Bonjour.

ft

OK, I installed bonjour. Where is the option to print from bonjour? The other thing is, I removed the printer and then added it again. Well now I show a copy of the printer. I removed both because I didn't want a copy. But when I logged back on to the laptop, they show again, even though I removed them!

I tried printing without the usb attached and now l get an error message that I'm offline. I went into the bonjour wizard and it says for me to pick a printer, but my printer doesn't show up. I feel like I'm a mouse in a maze! Every time I think I have a way out, I hit a new wall. I'm normally pretty knowledgeable with computers, but this Windows 7 after using a mac is confusing.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
OK, I installed bonjour. Where is the option to print from bonjour? The other thing is, I removed the printer and then added it again. Well now I show a copy of the printer. I removed both because I didn't want a copy. But when I logged back on to the laptop, they show again, even though I removed them!

I tried printing without the usb attached and now l get an error message that I'm offline. I went into the bonjour wizard and it says for me to pick a printer, but my printer doesn't show up. I feel like I'm a mouse in a maze! Every time I think I have a way out, I hit a new wall. I'm normally pretty knowledgeable with computers, but this Windows 7 after using a mac is confusing.

Hmm, it's been a while since I've done this, and I'm not on W7, I'm still using XP. Make sure that the printer is connected to the Airport Extreme using the Airport Utility.

You also have to have the right printer driver loaded, so you must install the printer first using USB.

So if you have the driver loaded on your PC and the printer is properly connected on the network, the Bonjour Wizard should find it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2586 - may not be entirely helpful if your printer isn't showing up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.