Print to metal

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fitshaced, Aug 31, 2011.

1. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Any f you get a picture printed on metal before? Would like to know what the result can be like and perhaps any tips before sending it off for print.

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I've never done it but it looks like an interesting presentation. Maybe you can do a small test print (4x6, etc) before committing to a larger and more costly size.

Ruahrc

3. fitshaced thread starter macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Yep, thats the plan. I saw one at a demo a while ago. But obviously different images will take to it better. I'm going to be using a black and white pic and a glossy finish. The conpany I'll be using are in Melbourne and do a 6x4 sample custom for about $50. It'll be an expensive gift for a larger one but I'll only do it if I'm pleased with the sample.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

I believe there are two ways of printing to metal. One way that I've had done myself is to have a regular print done (in my case Light Jet) and then it's mounted to a sheet of aluminium. You can either mount it with the aluminium showing around the edges, like a matt. Or you can mount the print right to the edge of the metal. Both work well, though you need to be careful if you are leaving metal showing since aluminium is so soft. It scratches easily.

When mounted right to edge, and then hung with a few cm of spacer behind, it becomes a powerful way to present a large image.

The second way involves printing right on the metal. I've not had it done, but someone described how an outfit in Victoria BC does it. Apparently they've set up an inkjet system where the head doesn't just move back and forth, but also along the substrate. So, the metal stays stationary, and the inkjet moves from one to the other. All you have to do is prepare the surface of the substrate to receive the inkjet spray.

Hope this helps.

cheers

5. fitshaced thread starter macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Thanks,
    I was just going to let them do the printing bit :p but a good insight as to how it occurs.

6. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I printed a picture to metal through Bay Photo and it came out super nice. I'll definitely do it again. They did a very nice job.

7. fitshaced thread starter macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Cool. I ended up not bothering with the sample and ordered a 16x24 inch. Its for a christmas present. Hopefully its awesome.

8. stevendphoto macrumors member

9. fitshaced thread starter macrumors 68000

fitshaced

10. heron88 macrumors 6502

Shall we see the results? ;)

11. fitshaced thread starter macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Not sure how I can do that whilst doing it justice. Perhaps I'll take a snap of it later. Here is the image I got done.

[​IMG]
    Opera House by kevinfl2011, on Flickr