Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzyorion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
hi guys,

i need to hand in my final year film on mini dv - but when I print to video (using FCP 6.0.5) it does not keep the aspect ratio as 16:9 but turns it into 4:3, i've gone through all the settings I can find and everything aspect ratio related is set to 16:9 or DV pal anamorphic...

any ideas? I'm stumped!

BTW if I export as quicktime movie using current setting it is 16:9 lol!

izzyorion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
What device to print to are you using?
A DV deck or a camera?
Does that device support 16:9?

it is a sony videocamera - cannot remember the model number as it is my classmates and I do not have it to hand

the camera does support 16:9 and all settings are set as 16:9...

i am trying to play the movie on a projector by attaching it to the sony videocamera via the red, white and yellow cables but the movie is projected as 4:3 but it looks squashed...

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
How does the video look on the camera's display?

Does the projector support 16:9?

Have you tried connecting the camera to another display device that supports 16:9, like a widescreen (HDTV) TV?

lokibrehm

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2009
UK
sequence settings

have you tried changing your sequence settings (command-9)? there is a little box you can check if you want it be 16x9.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
What format was the footage shot on?

In any case, if the footage you're printing to tape is set to DV NTSC 16:9, a lot of DV cameras will record the image as anamorphic, causing a vertical stretch when monitoring the video on the camera itself. After all, DV cameras are natively 4:3.

But if you play back on a video device that supports 16:9 widescreen, the video should squeeze back down to 16:9.

Another example: when you shoot in a "widescreen" mode on a DV camera, the image is still recorded as 4:3 and the camera will just add matte bars to the image to make it look like 16:9. In this case, you actually lose resolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.