Print to Windows 7 shared printer hangs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bmahf, Sep 19, 2014.

1. bmahf macrumors newbie

I have print sharing turned on for the Windows 7 desktop that the printer is connected to (Control Panel > Network & Sharing Center, Change Advanced sharing settings, selected Turn on file and printer sharing), and I have that printer set to be shared (Control Panel > Devices & Printers, selected the printer's Printer Properties, Sharing tab, checked Share this printer). I added the printer on my macbook running Mavericks (System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, '+' to add, Windows tab, selected the printer from the given workgroup/computer name, Choose a Driver selecting the HP driver for the printer). I opened the "See what's printing" on the Windows 7 system for the printer that I have shared, and when I print a test page from the mac for that printer connection I added, I see the document entered into the "See what's printing" window on the Windows system, and it says Printing. But nothing happens. It never gets printed. I had to cancel the print job.

I read online something about turning on the LPD daemon service, so I did that (Control Panel > Programs & Features, click Turn Windows features on or off, open Print and Document Services, and check LPD Print Service), and then, when I sent another test page through, I don't even see it going into the "See what's printing" window. So I've turned that off.

This printer is an HP Officejet 5510 all-in-one. I did the same thing for the HP Photosmart 8450 also connected to the same Windows 7 system, and that works just fine (no LPD turned on). I know, I know. Just use that one. But there's a part of me really wanting to know what the problem could possibly be with the 5510.

Does anyone have an idea as to next steps that I could try? I would really appreciate it.

2. satcomer, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When you started the sharing did you get the printer driver for the Mac from HP?