Print to Windows Vista Shared Printer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doox00, May 17, 2009.

1. doox00 macrumors regular

How do I print to a vista shared printer? I went into print/fax, click + to add printer, click windows button but shows nothing.. not really sure where to go from here.

thanks all

2. celticpride678

Before anything, make sure that that printer supports Mac OS X. I would be happy to help.

3. celticpride678

4. doox00 thread starter macrumors regular

okay, that added it correctly.. when I go to print.. and check the queue it shows stopped and does not print.

5. celticpride678

Ok. I am not sure if this will fix it but...

On the windows machine, find the computer name, ip address and name of he printer. Go to the mac and check if all the information is correct. If his does not work, the next thing to check is the actual network. Try restarting your router and modem by unplugging both, plug the modem in, wait 30 seconds and plug the router in. I had a similar problem and that helped. However, try the first thing first, then try the router and modem thing.

6. doox00 thread starter macrumors regular

well I will have to mess with it more.. it was already shared, I have 6 other pcs on the network that all use the printer, this is the first Mac. thank you for your help!

7. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

A word of advice: If the username and password you use on the Mac isn't the same as on the PC, you can make this process a lot easier by using the "Connect to Server" function and connect to smb://computername/printername. Replace computername with the name of the Vista PC sharing the printer and printername with the shared name of the printer. When prompted for a username and password, enter the username and password you use for the Windows computer.

This has helped me connect to the printer on my Vista PC here.