Print via AE without installing Bonjour

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by abw365, Jan 19, 2009.

1. abw365 macrumors newbie

My employer has strict policy regarding non essential software, so installing Airport Express drivers & Bonjour to run my Canon MX130 printer is not an option.

I want to add the printer on its AE network into my work PC and not add software is this possible? and how would it be done?

The snag I have run into so far in my efforts is that I cannon get an IP address from the AE. How does one go about doing this?

Thanks so much for the help!
    :)

2. abw365 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still not working... need to get the AX IP address

Although I'm very appreciative of the step by step process provided. I had managed to get that far on my own previously, I think where I'm having trouble is determining my AX IP address.

How do I get the IP address for the AX?

3. GregE macrumors 6502

4. tefleming macrumors 6502

That won't work if he can't install software.

What sorta setup do you have at work? Are we talking enterprise grade networking stuff?

Can you configure the Express at home and bring it in? (Set a static IP, etc)

5. GregE macrumors 6502

I'm confused. Is the printer on your home network and you want your work laptop to be able to access it when you are home? If so, don't you have another computer on your home network that you can access your AE from to find out the IP address?

6. abw365 thread starter macrumors newbie

System info

The System we are talking about is simply a home network.

I access the internet via an Airport Extreme which serves three laptops. My work Laptop accesses the internet inexactly the same manner except that it can only operate on the net through my employer. (Meaning it uses the AE to reach the employer's Server, and then from behind their inhouse server can access the internet).

I also have an Airport Express which is set up simply to operate my printer. The AX is not connected to the internet or hooked into the AE. It is only connected to my printer, the electrical outlet, and via wifi my personal MacBook & my personal Dell PC.

If I can use the airport utility on either the Mac or the Dell to determine the IP address of this AX, how do you do that? When I open the airport disk utility on the Mac it simply shows the AE, and doesn't even list the AX in this setup.

Thanks for the help!

7. abw365 thread starter macrumors newbie

How to get the IP address off AX??

To simplify my earlier explanation and end with a question... How do I get that IP address?? anyone know?

Will this fix my situation?

8. rich.smith macrumors member

I'm really confused. Are you able to print from any of your computers? If the airport utility on the Mac doesn't see the express, how did you setup the printer on the Mac?

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you have airport utility installed on one of your machines, just click on the device on the main page. and your IP should be on the right hand side of that window. At least it is on mac, and the windows program looks the same.

10. abw365 thread starter macrumors newbie

Both the Dell & the Mac print wirelessly with no issues. When I open the Airport utility I can only see the AE which provided the internet, not the AX which provides the wireless printing.

I set up the wireless printing system on the AX almost 2 years back, and can't quite recall all the details now of how it was worked out.

11. waw74 macrumors 68030

so you basically have 2 separate networks?

1 wired from the extreme to everything for internet
    1 wireless from the express to everything for printing?

if this is the case, you'll either have to have the new laptop join the wireless network from the express, or run a wire from the AX to the AE, and do some reconfiguring on the AX.

can you launch airport utility on one of the machines that prints? you should be able to see the express from those.

12. abw365 thread starter macrumors newbie

resolved

Thanks to all for their efforts.

The issue was resolved and the work PC works.'

I used the Dell's airport utility and was able to get into he AX with it to get the IP, and with that entered I'm now printing with no issues. Not sure why the Dell searched and found the AX, or why my Mac won't and doesn't show any info about the AX... but at least it all works now!

13. GregE macrumors 6502

I thought I knew why you could access it from your Dell and not your Mac but after re-reading your post I don't think this is right. I was thinking your checkbox that allows configuration over Ethernet WAN port was not checked. Then I figured your Dell was accessing your network thru the AX but your Mac was accessing it thru the AE. But that wouldn't allow your Mac to print and it sounds like it is so that isn't right.

[​IMG]

Oh well. Glad you got it to work the way you want.

14. abw365 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wrinkle in the solution!!

Hello,

I can make all my PCs print to my printer over the AX. However the IP on the AX changes from time to time, and my work PC which doesn't print through Bonjour then needs to have the new IP address changed in its settings.

How can I avoid this? How would I ensure that the PC senses the IP address dynamically?

Thanks!

15. GregE macrumors 6502

Iron for your wrinkle

What kind of number is your IP address?

If it is getting it from a local DHCP server, why not tell it not to do that and just assign a static IP address.

Or you could go into the DHCP server and use the MAC address of the AX to have the DHCP server always give it the same IP address. Does that make sense or did I just confuse you more? :D

16. abw365 thread starter macrumors newbie