Printable "clear" skins? anyone use this before?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lemonademaker, Jul 23, 2009.

1. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
  2. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I can see dust being a huge problem with the way you have to do this application. Not for me. :p

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Can't say it appeals to me, I haven't tried it.

On a side note:
    The video was 2:41.

That amused me.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

1 minute in dog years of course.

5. macbarton macrumors newbie

macbarton

iapeel is cool

I got some free beta test samples for a nano G4 all I can say is these things are sick dude!!! I can't believe how fast they apply compared to a skinit skin that i hade to wait over a week to get and that never aligned and bubbled up.
    Dude (fishmd) dust are you talking pcp? I dont get it. no dust dude just cool!

One bad thing it just comes with lame PC software over came that problem with iWork Pages if you contact them for beta samples make sure to ask for mac pages templates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IPtZqXOiQ&NR=1

6. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

have any pics of what you did? seem like a cool idea.....

7. macbarton macrumors newbie

macbarton

Dude
    Was going to take a pic of my iaPeel skined 5G Classic iPod and post today with my iPhone, a little problem my iPhone quite working dude, when I deep sixed it while fishing unbelievable apple won't stand behind it dude do you think Obama will bail me out.
    While you are waiting for the iaPeel skined iPod pic here are some the steps I took using iWork Pages awesome program. iaPeel supply the template that are awesome and simple to format with iWork Pages. When I was in school I was taught how to use MS (lame) Publisher and some of the Adobe programs, all of the cost double or triple of iWork's ($79.00) price.

l

Attached Files:

8. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

The printable skins are a very interesting idea. I wonder what the moisture resistance of an average inkjet ink is though. Would it tend to bleed or smear just from being carried in a pocket on a hot day, or stuff like that.

Someone hung an injet printed note on my door at home the other day and it rained, which left the note unreadable and a streak of ink running down my door. You wouldn't want something similar to happen on your iPod/iPhone.

9. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

I think that the ink ran down your door because it was most likely paper, these aren't paper...it should be able to hold the ink much better.

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I wouldn't do this. I get the exact thing but professionally printed from UniqueSkins for $7 for a back and a front. Here is what mine have looked like. I use my friend Tara's artwork.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I used something similar to this on an ooooold nano I used to have, and never had a problem with the ink running. I can't remember the name of the company who manufactured the "skin" (they came in a pack that looked kind of like those Avery address labels), so that's of absolutely no help, but I did just want to let you all know that ink runnage isn't a problem (or wasn't for me :) ). Of course, I took pains to keep moisture away from it, but I used a couple of different designs I came up with for months at a time and they never ran or even really faded, at least noticeably.

I might just give this a try. I really like the fact that it gives you an easy way to line things up, and I love the obvious customizability of designs. I never seem to have a problem with dust, so much, but I always seem to be like 1 mm (or pixel, lol) off, just enough to irritate the **** out of me. This might make the whole process a lot easier.

12. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

sure he will, he'll also pay your mortgage and fill your gas tank up as long as you get 40 mpg of course...

I haven't ordered it yet.. .but it looks like a pretty cool idea....

13. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Thanks for that link! I prefer they print it for me rather than chance screwing it up or having inferior quality.

14. macbarton macrumors newbie

macbarton

Wet iaPeel

I will be diving for bugs (lobster) on Thursday (1st day regular season) where I lost my iPhone on Sunday while fishing for bait on the reef. The phone had a iaPeel on it before I deep 6 it. If I should find it (maybe the same odds as winning lotto), I will give a report to the condition of the skin I have a feeling the phone will be extremely damaged dude, if found. I had the iaPeel skin on it for about 5 weeks, I work on the water have touch it with wet hands the ink never ran or smeared. When I first put the skin on it felt sticky but the more i handled it the smoother it had gotten it took a couple days, one thing to remember I live in the Florida Keys it is humid real humid dude.

15. skindeep macrumors newbie

iaPeel printable ipod skins

Well, I found them, bought them and tried them out.

www.iapeel.com

I admit the first one took me a couple of minutes to apply and I had to figure out my printer settings, but the next time was a snap. The included design software is Windows based, but I was able to run it using Parallels on my Mac.

I've had it in my pocket quite a bit, and haven't had any of the ink wear off.

After a little "creative re-programming" I was able to add a matching wallpaper to my 2G iTouch.

[​IMG]

16. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

hmmmmm.... well it looks cool... but i have to ask are you the owner of iapeel? or you just so happened to stop by macrumors and this is your first post?

17. skindeep macrumors newbie

I certainly wouldn't mind being the owner, but unfortunately not the case.:(

As a graphic designer, I've been looking for a product like this for quite a while. I feel the need to customize just about everything I own. This is my first post on MacRumors, but I've been following this thread for quite a while. Not really much of a posting guy myself.

Just thought I'd share.

18. skindeep macrumors newbie

skin samples

BTW... I don't know how long they will be offering samples, but if you want to try them out first,

http://www.iapeel.com/samples.aspx

Here's another design...

[​IMG]

19. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

those look pretty nice for 7 bucks
    i wonder if they'll stay on with rough usage tho :rolleyes:
    anyone tried em?

20. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I've tried it, and trust me they are extremely durable. They don't peel at all. Here is my new one, I just got a few weeks ago. :)

Attached Files:

21. Blinkwing macrumors member

Humm, I'm considering getting one of these but I have no idea what kind of artwork to put on it.

How exactly do you put it on? I'm a bit concerned about air bubbled and shaky hands screwing it up for me :p

22. realuniqueskins macrumors newbie

realuniqueskins

I'm glad you guys are enjoying our skins so much! They are durable and affordable. For a bit more, we also sell gel skins and they are currently at a buy one get one free rate.

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions, or you can just visit the website. Thanks guys!

23. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

this is a picture of my sister's ipod touch that i bought for her few weeks ago... and she already made tons of scratches on the back... those ipt are so easily scratched on the aluminum backside.. so i installed these skins for her.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7876/getattachmentmu.jpg
    (dont mind the bottom left figure, its a reflection of me taking the picture :p, not part of the design)

i kinda screwed up on the edges (should have been more patient..) but overall its looking good. i wish i had installed em when it came out of the box. anyways these skin shields are made by sgp and they are a bit pricey but i think they'll do the job because its got good rating on ilounge.

24. macbarton macrumors newbie

macbarton

iaPeel

Dude if you change your skins every couple weeks I would use the iaPeel skin
    they print on your printer, photo quality UFB dude, and cost less than half the price. Dude its the economy don't cha know. Oh one more tang mon day has a great alignment system it be exact!!!! MacBarton signing out and catching em up from de Fl Keys come on down i need some work.

25. macbarton macrumors newbie

macbarton

Mac Barton saays dude try a iaPeel and let your sis put dat tang on by her self it be EEZZZ, maybe it be helping you to, sounds like it twas a job for you as well just imagine perfect alignment dude. Why do you want to waste time being patient dude the iapeel all but puts it self on. Buy de iaPeel and come on down to the FL Keys and go fish'n wid all de $$ you save.