Printer advice please?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikemoe, Feb 7, 2012.

1. mikemoe macrumors newbie

Hoping the hive mind can help me with a printer selection.

I'm looking for a home use basic monochrome laser printer. My trusty Brother/Samsung ML1210 finally spit out in pieces its dry rotted rubber composition paper grabber and mover parts. I have a few Brother HL5250DN laser printers that were retired from a family business a few years ago but there is some bizarre issue running those with any version of OS X. For some strange reason the low toner light comes on and limits the number of pages that can be printed. I've tried multiple fixes and even resetting it with a new toner cartridge on a pc, only to have the problem immediately come back. So I'm over the 5250 and just want to find a basic black & white laser printer that plays nice with OS X.

My color printing needs are taken care of by an inkjet so I'm not looking for a color laser printer. I don't really need duplexing, lcd displays, card readers, scanning or faxing. I would like a printer that has definitely has wireless and USB, hopefully has Ethernet, and hopefully has AirPrint or the ability to add AirPrint via firmware down the road. I am trying to take into account toner cartridge cost and the number of pages available per cartridge.

The most likely candidate seems to be the HP Laserjet Pro P1102W although it does not have built in ethernet. The price is right, toner price seems about average and reviews seem to be okay.

Can anyone give me a good alternative or share any serious issues you might have had with this model, or any lack of issues/problems with it? Would you purchase it again?

I do appreciate anyone taking the time to reply, this has always been a great place to get Mac centered wisdom. Thanks

2. jjaimemiranda macrumors newbie

Don't buy it

I bought one of those. Similar needs to yours. But can't get it to work with Lion OS, v 10.7 and it messes configuration everytime I try to set it up from scratch. I try to make it work with my Windows vista desktop and MacBook Air. A pain.

Now, after 3 months, am giving up on this HP.

If you boughtit already, hope you had better luck.

J

3. thebassmanmac macrumors newbie

I bought a Samsung ML-1865W Black Mono Laser Printer.
    It is wireless and USB, no airprint or ethernet though.
    I only paid £30 with the Samsung £20 cashback deal though, so can't complain.
    It works flawlessly with Snow Leopard and now with Lion.

Install was really easy, as soon as i realised to throw away the Samsung install discs and just use the Apple software. :D

cheers

thebassmanmac

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can always get an external print server, AirPort Express, etc.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

This printer is much better then that HP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113545 It has wireless and ethernet. I have a similar model and have had no issues.

I also installed this program http://www.collobos.com/ which will turn any printer into an AriPrint printer. It also gives you the ability to print to other things like dropbox or a pdf doc and so on. You just have to install it on a PC/Mac that is on all the time.