Printer advice....

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yobie, May 2, 2014.

1. yobie macrumors newbie

I have my first Mac and want to get a printer that can print without it costing a fortune for each page. Any advice? Or should I just go with the AirPrint HP's that are in the Apple stores? And bear the cost of ink.
    I like to print photos too, but have a canon Selphy to do the bulk of that.
    Appreciate any opinions...

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you don't do a lot of printing there's not much you can do about a high "per page" printing cost (in which I include the cost of the printer). If you print a lot, then a laser printer could give you a much lower cost per page.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I greatly like my Canon Pixma MG5220 and MG5320. The MG5320 has AirPrint, but I believe the new MG5520 has it too! They also are great for photo printing.

As for laser jets, I highly recommend Brother printers...

4. hollandog macrumors regular

hollandog

if you dont need color prints, look for deals on the b&w laser printers. they are usually under $100.

I got my samsung color laser all in one 3 black fridays ago for $90. you don't see much better deals nowadays.

you should go for laser printer if you don't print a lot. i'm so sick of inkjets ink dried up after a few months of inactivity. the original toner came with my printer lasted 3 years and still going. but replacing it will cost more than a printer.

5. yobie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to let me know what works well for you:)

6. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I won't recommend a specific model since they tend to change rapidly. But in general, I would recommend either Epson or Canon. I've had an excellent experience with my Epson Workforce for 2.5 years now and my wife has been quite happy with Canon models in her two offices. We both used to buy HP but got tired of the ink costs and failures. Lots of other favorable mentions on the forums about Canon and Epson. Brother has been getting lots of good press lately also.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

While I use a Xerox color laser at home, I needed a small printer when traveling in our RV. Since we rarely print color on the road, a small HP laser with wireless fit the bill. I think it's a 1102w. I hate ink jets for anything other than photo use.

8. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

I have this one

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...6&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=56820573258

Works great.

9. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Canon Pixma series printers are fabulous. I got one for school, plugged in the ink and set up AirPrint on my macs and was good to go for the entire 2 semesters having to replace the black ink only once. Extremely happy with it, I hope it keeps on kicking.

10. Micky Do, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

If colour isn't important, go for a monochrome laser printer….. which is what I did several years ago when the first small multifunction machines started to come out. Filling the cartridges in the inkjet that they flicked me from work for home use got to be an expensive hassle.

For low volume colour printing a cheap inkjet could be most cost effective overall, despite the relatively high cost of ink cartridges.

If you are going to do a bit more colour printing, spring a bit more for an inkjet printer with external, refillable ink tanks.

For high volume colour printing front the funds for a colour laser printer.