Printer advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr.Texor, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I need to get a new printer. I was thinking of getting one of those all in one printers that have the scanner and what not. I was wondering if there's any printer that doesnt require for you to install software and drivers, as in they are included on mac os x (I'm using snow leopard). Or, at least, which brand has the less intrusive software? hp, canon, epson?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have a Brother MFC-7840W which has been working very well for me.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Not the Kodak ESP7.

I've never had trouble with Samsung or HP, although setting them up sometimes is a struggle. Also, if your HP printer says that it doesn't work with Macs, chances are... it doesn't.

4. Buzz Bumble Guest

The Canon models usually get good reviews.

Personally I always choose Epson or Canon for inkjet printers and HP for laser printers.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have a Canon AIO MX860 on my home network (built-in WiFi). It works well and the drivers are relatively unobtrusive.

I always have liked the individual ink tanks of the Canons makes for a low total cost of ownership.

B

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Get an Epson. Connect it to your computer and it will just work. I've had one for years and it's great.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Canon MP600 or whatever model has now replaced it. Cheap ink and reliable as hell.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I use an HP scanner and HP printers, and both of those ask you to install software - but the Mac software was included with both.

9. Mr.Texor thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, I hadn't been able to give thanks to everyone that replied to my original post. I just moved to Dallas and didn't have access to the internet for a while. Well, I did, but at work I wasn't able to log to the forums. Anyway, I got an epson printer about a week ago and I'm very happy I did. The drivers were installed automagically by the OS. Everything works right out of the box.. yay!

10. easepease macrumors regular

id get a cheap laser printer, so much cheaper and faster in the long run!

11. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

That's the thing - a lot of people don't print much, so a cheap monochrome laser printer will do wonders, and the toner will last forever.

If you really need color (and like printing the occasional photo), absolutely get an Epson - best quality in photos for the past several years.

I picked up a monochrome Samsung duplex laser with ethernet about 1.5 years ago on clearance at Office Depot (something like $60...shoulda bought two...) which still has 70% of toner remaining in the starter cartridge (1000 sheets)

My inkjet is old faithful Epson R1800, incredible 13x19" photo printer. One nice thing about it is it came with a firewire cord, so I don't need to use up a valuable USB port on my Mac.

And anyone buying inkjet printers, remember to buy GOOD paper (multipurpose, or heavier than the standard 20lb) - the better the paper is, the LESS ink will need to be used.

12. joaoferro37 macrumors 6502

joaoferro37

I am a big fan of Epson.
    I sold mt R2400 and bought R3800.
    If printing quality is crucial, use Epson.
    The down side is the ink cost.
    You can try refill ink cartridge solution such as ufosystem or buying oem refill ink cartridge. Ufosystem is specialize in epson refill ink only.
    You can also try media street or inkrepublic for bulk refill ink if you plan to print t-shirts using heat transfer pigment or sublimation ink.
    All these companies are reliable.
    You still have to tweek the profile but that is minor issue.

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Are you going to use it wirelessly? Are you printing in color? IF color, are they pictures or just color text or images? How often do you print? Does speed matter? Does double sided printing matter? Those are all questions we need answered to really make a good rec for you.

I have an HP and love the all in one features. It was easy to set up wireless. I would stay away from Canon- my inlaws got one, the wireless was very difficult to set up.

Overall HP gets the best ratings on Consumer Reports website. HP's cost less for ink per print out according to their testing. There was one canon which got better ratings for photos, but the cost was way higher than the HP I was looking at and I don't print out photos often at all.

I got the HP 6500 wireless and like it. HP has the option of buying the XL ink cartridge which provides twice as much ink for about $15 more (half the cost of the main black cartridge. It also saves me paper due to the double sided printing option- and the printer cost me $150!

BEWARE- I did considerable research online and be careful that you understand what print cartridges you need to buy for a photo printer. more than one "photo" inkjet All In One printer required the black and color cartridges as well as some grey photo cartridge which is difficult to find anyplace locally at STaples or other so it has to be ordered online. It was hard sometimes to figure this out- so beware.

14. mtnhigh macrumors newbie

very disappointed with HP

I started trying to connect my HP G85xi to my new Apple MacBook Air a few months ago, only to find out that HP no longer provided a driver for it. I was surprised to find out a couple of weeks ago that a driver was now available. I downloaded it and found it to be full of bugs, to the point that I now have to buy a new printer -- I can assure you that HP is not a company that I will consider this time around.