Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Hello,

I recently gave my parents an Airport Extreme and I'm having trouble getting their Windows Vista machine to recognize the printer. Here is the setup:

1 Windows Vista Desktop computer
1 Macbook Air
1 Macbook Intel
1 Canon MP 210 printer

The Airport is plugged in normally, the printer is plugged into the Airport via USB, and the Vista computer is plugged into the Airport via Ethernet as well. Both of the MacBooks connect wireless.

------------

Both the Macbook books recognize and print to the printer, but the Vista machine does not. I tried setting up the printer through the Vista "add a wireless printer" steps but it doesn't find the printer on the network. Obviously it works, and this is probably something really easy, but I haven't set up a printer on a Vista machine in this fashion before.

Any help would be appreciated.

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
bonjour

Agreed you need bonjour maybe the easiest thing to do is install the cd that came with your airport extreme on the windows computer once you done that it will work.

I'm not positive this will work for you, but I believe that you need Bonjour for Windows:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl999

I've successfully used that to find (mostly automatically) and configure Mac-served printers on Windows in the past, though I haven't needed it in a while.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Well, that got the printer recognized. Now I'm just having trouble getting it to actually print what I send it. It either just doesn't do it, or it takes a very long time. Hmm.

Thanks for your help with that though. That was pretty much what I needed.

----------

Actually, everything works fine now. Only issue is I get a "printer is not responding" error and then it prints.

No clue, as long as it works idc.

Thanks a lot guys for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.