Printer (all-in-one) with only Apple, and not actual third-party, software

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by exi, Aug 5, 2015.

1. exi macrumors 6502

Possibly a stupid question, but I figured it was worth asking.

I had an old HP Officejet wireless all-in-one. It was time for it to go.

Went shopping for an all-in-one which can auto-duplex print AND scan, with the duplex scanning done in one pass. Wireless and AirPrint required. Other features negotiable.

My question is this: for a printer which shows up on Apple's printer/scanner software page -- https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465 -- is it conceivable that I would be able to use ALL of the device's functions without installing the manufacturer's often bloated software just to get everything working?

I ask because I picked up a Brother MFC which, while nice, is not on that page and, sure enough, could only do basic prints without Brother's own software. There wasn't even any Brother software under the software select window in Printers & Scanners.

Running Yosemite, 10.10.4. Wireless to the printer only. Don't know that an old Brother driver download page -- https://support.apple.com/kb/DL894?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US -- would be useful if I were to uninstall all the Brother stuff and try and go the minimalist approach with the intent of still being able to do network scans with duplexing and all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance.

2. kschendel macrumors 6502a

Are you asking in general or about that Brother printer?

I have a Canon MF8280 which is on the apple list, and I use it just fine with no Canon software installed.

3. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Was asking in general. I haven't looked at specifics of your device -- things like duplexing / network scanning / etc all handled easily by native Apple software?

4. bennibeef macrumors 6502

I got a Officejet 6700 and its printing fine over the network and I can scan with the Apple utilities over the network. I have no HP software installed

About duplexing, I dont know if this works because I never tried it but I guess so.

5. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

My former Officejet 6500 -- also on the list -- did as well. No HP software needed. Duplexing (print only) worked through stock Apple software. Scanning wirelessly worked flawlessly.

When I tried similar with this Brother machine, not on the list, printing worked with basic settings, but scanning was unavailable, and some settings seemed to be missing.

Wondering if I would be able to have all functions available without manufacturer-direct software by using something on the list. I ask because articles like this -- http://www.macworld.com/article/268...ng-the-right-printer-driver-for-your-mac.html -- suggest that sometimes, you still need third-party stuff.

The article above is from 9/18/2014. Using the Internet Archive, Apple's printer list (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465) on 11/7/2014 has the printer in that article listed as "recently added," with no previous archived entries available.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

It is difficult to point to one printer, and ask if all functions will be available, just using whatever software that Apple makes available.
    I have seen printers where most any feature works without installing anything else - and others that will print, but not much else without the manufacturer's "official" software fully installed. It sometimes varies within a manufacturer's line, too.
    minor point - I don't consider the manufacturer's official set of software to be "third-party".
    As far as I know, Apple ultimately doesn't do the printer software. It's provided by the manufacturer, and Apple simply offers the conduit of software update/App store to make the printer simple to setup, convenient for both the manufacturer, and the printer user.

It will vary from one printer to another.

7. kschendel macrumors 6502a

I don't have the duplexing feature (that's the MF8580), but all the other features are accessible using whatever drivers OS/X installs natively. I didn't install any Canon software.

You do have to read carefully sometimes. E.g. on this particular Canon, I have to push a button on the printer panel before I can scan remotely from the Mac. That's just how it works, and it's not a function of the Mac side software. If you are looking to operate all functions from your Mac with no at-the-device intervention, make sure the device you choose can actually do that.