Printer and Time capsule help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dobbs2, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

20" aluminum imac
    1tb dual band time capsule
    Hp C6280 all in one

I have it setup and any computer that I allow with the mac address filter to connect to my wireless network can print perfectly. I recently needed to scan some documents to my imac which is right next to the printer, but connected via wifi to my time capsule and the only options that it will allow me to do is scan it to a memory card. The printer is connected to the time capsule via usb, because I couldn't get it to recognize it via ethernet.

How can I get it to scan documents to a computer on my network, or how can I choose one computer from a list of computers connected at a given time.

How can I get my printer to connect to the time capsule via ethernet so I can free up the usb for an external hdd. The ethernet part was just plug and play on my las router in windows.

I'm a newbie and trying to get situated in my transition and trying to not make the wife kill me while she is relearning too.

Any ideas?

2. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I'm pretty sure the HP software won't work when you have the printer connected by USB to the TC. You need to get the ethernet connection working.

4. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I figured, but for some reason I can't get it to recognize it thru the ethernet port. On my old router and pc it was just plug and play and it worked.

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Is it possible you just chain-connected your TC to your old router? That would mean you have the TC network enclosed/separated from the router network.

6. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the thought and the reply though.

That would be nice, but I traded the Netgear WNR3500 and used that as credit for the 1tb time capsule.

Oh this is driving me crazy and the Missus isn't happy with me right now because of this.

Anybody ever have trouble connecting a networked printer thru ethernet port on the time capsule?

7. paulisme macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure you're not going to get scanning to work via the Time Capsule's USB port. As far as freeing up the port for an external hard drive, you can get a USB hub and plug both the printer and a hard drive up to it.

8. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand this now as I have figured out that not all features of this printer work when connected thru usb to time capsule (by spending to much time with hp). Do you have any suggestions why I can't get the printer to function when I have it plugged into the time capsule with an ethernet cable. Every one I have talked to can't offer any advice as to why I can't get it to work with the ethernet cable.

9. Dobbs2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok finally got the printer to work over the ethernet port. For some reason whe I hit the scan button on the c6280 it gives me the option to scan to a computer. I hit that and says error consult your hp book. I also go to system preferences and click printers and faxes it finds the printer. I hit the button on screen to scan and it says feature is not supported by my printer.

So I got the printer working from the Ethernet cable and it prints fine, but i still can't use all of the features.