Printer Auto Quit not working in Leopard...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by polycat33, Sep 17, 2008.

1. polycat33 macrumors 6502

After I upgraded to Leopard I noticed after printing, the printer icon remained in my dock and I'd have to manuall quit. I googled the problem and learned about right clicking and choosing "auto quit" to make it go away after the print job is done, just like in Tiger. It worked just as it was supposed to.

But a week or so ago it stopped auto quitting, even though auto quit is still checked. I tried unchecking and rechecked and it still doesn't auto quit. I just updated to 10.5.5 today but it started happening on 10.5.4 so I don't think it's a problem with that. Any ideas? Is there some sort of printer plist file I can trash?

2. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, come on, someone must have a guess at least!

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

All I can think of is repair permissions.

4. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

I've been having this exact same issue. I did repair permissions and there were a lot of .../cups/... type of repairs (cups is the print daemon).

However it still stayed up. I clicked on the printer icon (for whatever reason not something I normally ever do) and low and behold there was a stopped job in my print queue. I deleted it and the printer icon auto quit like it should.

5. polycat33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. That was EXACTLY it! I actually noticed the two stopped jobs when I went to cancel a job yesterday, and I deleted them all and it's been going away ever since. I wish I had known this last week when the issue came up though, but I'll know in the future.

6. goatmonger macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, but no stopped jobs! I don't know what to do.... I'm using the Canon CUPS driver for my MP610, on Leopard 10.5.5.

7. cjbulow macrumors newbie

8. jonahj macrumors newbie

9. goatmonger macrumors newbie

Like others who commented on that hint, I already had my default printer set to "Last Printer Used". It seems to have worked to solve the poster's problem, but I suspect that it was coincidence. Or maybe changing the setting reset a bad preference file that he had. Either way, that doesn't appear to solve it for many people.