Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lacereza

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2008
I just bought a new MBP, Airport Express, and a few other bits and pieces with the back to school deal + NC tax holiday last weekend. I'm moving into my new house on Wednesday.

I have the HP C4480 printer. In the Mac store they told me that it would connect wirelessly with my computer without a problem as long as I was using the Airport Express. Now someone's given me a Belkin Wireless G router -- 2.4 Ghz-802.11g.

Is there some way to make the printer work with this , so I can return the Airport Express and get my $99 back?

Otherwise, we're in a two story house and I'm worried that the signal might not be strong enough with just one Airport. Is there some way to use the Belkin one and the Apiport together to strengthen/extend the signal?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can set the AE as a extender for your Belkin.

If your Belkin supports printer sharing then yes it will work.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I just bought a new MBP, Airport Express, and a few other bits and pieces with the back to school deal + NC tax holiday last weekend. I'm moving into my new house on Wednesday.

I have the HP C4480 printer. In the Mac store they told me that it would connect wirelessly with my computer without a problem as long as I was using the Airport Express. Now someone's given me a Belkin Wireless G router -- 2.4 Ghz-802.11g.

Is there some way to make the printer work with this , so I can return the Airport Express and get my $99 back?

Otherwise, we're in a two story house and I'm worried that the signal might not be strong enough with just one Airport. Is there some way to use the Belkin one and the Apiport together to strengthen/extend the signal?

To give you a great idea: sell both Belkin and AExpress and get an Extreme! End to all your hassles!

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
If your Belkin supports printer sharing then yes it will work.

Airport Extreme and Express have Apple firmware (software) that enables them to use Apple printer sharing methods. As far as I know, no one else's hardware does that.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Airport Extreme and Express have Apple firmware (software) that enables them to use Apple printer sharing methods. As far as I know, no one else's hardware does that.

Er.... no! Any router with a USB port and print server will permit such a thing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.