Printer + Bristol Board= YAY

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NoMoreWhispers, Jul 20, 2010.

1. NoMoreWhispers macrumors newbie

Hey guys/gals!

I'm looking to buy a printer that'll print on bristol board (this is for a friends b-day gift). A printer that can print larger than the standard 8.5 x 11 would be really good : )

I'm looking to purchase it in a store as opposed to online because it won't come in time for my friends b-day, and if my friend wants to return/exchange it it'll be easier to bring it to the store instead of dragging it to a post office and paying fees to return it.

Thanks for any replies/thoughts/suggestions/rants
    ;)

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Umm....
    1) Go to store
    2) Find printer aisle
    3a) Talk to sales clerk, OR
    3b) Read tech specs listed on boxes - look for the ability print on heavy card stock, and straight through feed path.
    4) Inquire about return/exchange policy
    5) Purchase

I'm pretty sure that if NYC means NY City that there may be one or two computer stores around... though I suppose things could be different than most other major metropolitan areas....

I can't find the emoticon for "snarky", but if there was one I would put it here....

3. NoMoreWhispers thread starter macrumors newbie

Umm...

Obviously I wouldn't be posting if I didn't already go to a few stores. Many don't have a printer that can print 18 by 24 inches bristol board. That's why I'm asking here instead. To see if anyone knows about a specific store that does carry it, or can order it.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

To do 18x24 you are looking at professional level printer, and not a consumer version. This means it's going to be pricey. Start your online search with "Large Format Photo Printer" and you should see some choices pop up. There is mid-range set of printers that will print on paper 13" wide. Sometimes it's 13x19, and sometimes it's 13x ?? because it will accept a roll of paper. If you want to go to 18" wide then you are a level above that. Good Luck.

And to avoid snarky comments like mine in the future perhaps you should consider starting off with "I went to the store and didn't see what I was looking for...." Honestly, just from the what you had written, it sounded like someone too lazy to do any work on their own.