Printer Cartridges

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Newmacer2, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Newmacer2 macrumors regular

Not sure this is the right place to post this, but here goes!

I have an HP printer. Never been happy with it, but it's all I can afford right now. Another thing I can't afford is the ridiculous cost of ink cartridges. I only print black when printing documents and I always set my printer for "fast draft, black and white". However, for some reason my color cartridge is also used when printing black. I think HP's explanation is that the printer has to use magenta, etc. to print a true black. I think that's total BS. Has anyone ever tried putting a black ink cartridge in their printer on the black slot and also the color slot? Will that work? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I just paid 70 bucks for a black and color cartridge (XL) at Costco and can't afford to do that again. Thanks.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Make sure that Colorsync is OFF in the printer options. I came across another thread somewhere with exactly the same issue.

It's not HP's fault: RGB Black is traditionally converted to CMYK using values on all four inks: there should be an exception for text, but not always.
    If you've specified B&W, then that should work, except that ColorSync sometimes gets in the way.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Follow advice from benwiggy.

But have you consider third party inks? I have an HP & Canon printer and ink cost is ridiculous. I started to buy good third party ink and cut my cost in less than half. Easy to do and most suppliers will have instructions on how to do it.

As for trying to put other colour cartridges in different slots, it may not work as cartridges are chipped and can tell when they are in wrong slots. Printer most likely will not recognize the cartridge.

4. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. I may really show my ignorance here, but I've checked all my printer's set-up options and my iMac's printer preferences and can't find any options for changing "ColorSync". I have an HP Photosmart 4780 if anyone out there can help. Thanks again.

----------

Thanks. I will definitely try other printer cartridges.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Not other print cartridges. I meant refills kits that are readily available. I have never tried third party cartridges, but have seen the problems with them. The chips they put in cartridges can play havoc on whether they work or not. If the printer does not read them, then the cartridge is pretty much useless.

Use your original cartridges but refill them. It is much easier to do and far cheaper. Sorry for any confusion.

6. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

It's in the Color Matching tab of the Print dialog.

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Your Print Dialogue box will open once you have a document open and try to print it. I have posted a photo below to show you what benwiggy is talking about.

Attached Files:

9. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately, what you're showing in the photo is somewhat different than what I'm finding. I have two options..They are "ColorSync" and "Vendor Matching". It's currently set for ColorSync. Should I change it to Vendor Matching?

10. Newmacer2, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013

Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Sample.jpg

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Yes, change to Vendor Matching. Mine is showing Canon due to the fact that is the type of printer I have. That,s all and cute pooch by the way.

12. Newmacer2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much. You just saved me a bunch of money. And thanks for complimenting my pooch. She's 3 months old today!

13. andrain18 macrumors newbie

After having worked in the printer industry for years at www.suppliesoutlet.com i can firmly say that ink cartridges are designed to rob you of ink. the computer chips on black, magenta, cyan and yellow all register a page printed on them regardless if the color was ever used or not. Best you can do is to buy more inexpensive cartridges or refill them yourself.