Printer died, need a replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Sep 17, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My good ol' HP P2015 just stopped working.

I need a new printer and have perused a number of websites, but that's gotten me even more indecisive.

I'll set my limit at $500. Yes I know that's a lot for a printer, but I have specific needs that I know aren't cheap:
    1) Excellent text output, satisfactory graphics output.
    2) Duplex (automatic duplexing)
    3) Built-in networking
    4) 20 PPM minimum with B/W
    5) Laser printer
    6) Should have at least 256MB of RAM (I know that more RAM makes a huge difference in laser printers)
    *** I would love a color printer, but that's purely optional.***

Since I'm not a business my monthly volume isn't very high, but I do go through around 1500-2000 pages a month.

I initially settled on a Xerox 6280/DN which really does all that I have listed, but I have read reviews that the text isn't that great. I'd rather have an excellent B/W printer than a crappy color. That one is around $500 with RAM upgraded.

I don't want to spend a lot if I don't have to; that's my limit, not my target expenditure.

Anyone have suggestions?

2. vadhar macrumors newbie

Brother

Brother HL-5370DWT Laser Printer 250 from staples. I have one of the older versions and it does not have duplexing but its GREAT.:)

3. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

That's a nice price; never bought a Brother printer before; how is their support?

4. vadhar macrumors newbie

Its actually pretty good, i call in once to set up the wireless and they were quite proficient. Another thing you should look at is the cost per print. The brother i would say is 2 cents a page like mine. I also have a xerox phaser 8860 for my office which i bought just for the cost per print. I print color for the same price as color. That xerox 6280 definitely has a high cost per print for color pages even though youll be printing under 2000 pages a month.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes I did check, the 6280 is about 2.3¢ per page for B/W… which is what I will be printing most of time. I'll look into that Brother printer, thank you.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

brother HL Series HL-4040cdn

brother HL Series HL-4070CDW

Both printers meet all your criteria except memory. Going by the specs I could find it looks like all you will need is a 512MB 144pin DIMM.

List of printers that meet your requirements. There are even a few all-in-ones in your price range. I doubt any will come with the 256MB of RAM. Rather they will need their RAM upgraded. Just find out what type they use as I think most can use regular computer RAM that meets the specs. Though they will try to sell you obscenely overpriced memory themselves.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I suggest looking at the Samsung ML2850ND

I am not sure if it meets all your criteria, and I don't know if it's still being made, but we have one here and we're very happy with it.

- laser
    - automatic duplexing
    - small
    - cheap
    - networkable.

Don't forget to add the price of a 5000 page cartridge to the printer price, which may take some of the other suggestions here out of your budget.

8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I have the Brother HL Series HL-4070CDW. Love this printer. I have had no issues with this printer. There are also many websites that sell the toner and drum at excellent prices. Print a lot of graphics with good results. B&W text output is excellent and print times are short.

9. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I am in the same position as you, I'm looking for a good printer that I can print resumes, and prints for my portfolio though.

Any suggestions?

10. drkstar macrumors member

drkstar

+1 for Brother Printers w/ Macs

11. omarjk macrumors regular

In my office, and those of many other MR members I would have thought, the HP 4050 series is a workhorse that still churns out sheets: reliably, efficiently, and at a low cost.

I managed to get one for $30 from eBay on a local pick-up, and my family are (mentally, at least) thanking me for the ease of printing we get from it.

Duplexer units can be attached, and most importantly it will do your 1500-2000 pages just as well as something for which you could shell out hundreds extra dollars.

These things were 4 figures when new.