Printer driver update - reg.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kartnite, Jan 8, 2014.

1. kartnite, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

kartnite macrumors member

kartnite

I have the HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 3545 eAIO.

I had set it up earlier this month and it was running just fine (AirPrint, et al). However, when I tried to print sometime back, my Macbook Pro wasn't able to detect the printer.

The only change I'd done since the last successful print (yesterday) was to turn on the firewall. Reverting the change didn't help either.

The funny thing - the printer's web login showed that the device was ready and working fine. However, the status in the Printer's desktop utility showed "unknown".

At that time, I noticed that the driver version was 3.2.1 (same as the one mentioned in Apple's website knowledge base: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669)

Seeing that nothing was working, I chose to "reset printing systems" in the Printer menu (System Preferences).

I re-added the printer (through USB, Network address and Wireless detection). The configuration went well and I was able to print again.

But I also noticed that the printer driver had been downgraded to 2.0

Question: How do I update it to 3.2.1?

Re-downloading the printer driver/software from HP product support doesn't help.

On a side note - The KB article says the update will show in the App Store. Try as I might, the update doesn't show up.

Question: Is there anyway to manually download and install that particular update again (something similar to what Microsoft offers with Windows)?

Thank you, in advance, for your suggestions.

2. kartnite thread starter macrumors member

kartnite

Quick clarification - Similar to Windows, where one can right-click My Computer and choose "Manage" to see what drivers are available, is there a process on a Mac?

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The updates will usually be available, if your printer is attached, and powered on. Try doing that with the printer connected to your Mac through a USB connection (just for the software update), and check for updates from the App Store.
    If that does not accomplish anything, there is software that you can download direct from HP, just updated last month: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4159&product=6415039&sw_lang=

4. kartnite thread starter macrumors member

kartnite

I've tried it via USB and Wireless. Doesn't seem to work.

And yes, that's the software I'd downloaded in the first place (while setting up the device).

I tried contacting Apple - the executive said 2.0 was the right version (but the Knowledge Base article clearly says 3.2.1 - and that's the one I was on) and kept asserting that. No reply from HP yet.

Find it kinda strange. Especially given that having opted to "reset printing systems" even downgraded the driver? Doesn't sound logical (or maybe there is a lot more I need to learn on the Mac, which is true too. Newbie here).