Printer drivers - over 1GB. OK to erase? Any other space hogs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Airforce, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Trying to clean up my OS X machines. Any issues with deleting the printer drivers I don't use? Any other space hogs in OS X I can clean up?

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

delete away! you can always re-install them from your system disk if you need them. I never install them in the first place. Download the up-to-date ones from the manufacturers website.

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I deleted all my .lproj files – they provide language support for different languages. I just left the en.lproj files. No problems.

I've never thought of deleting all the printer drivers – I think it's handy, as I use a laptop and never know where I'll use it and need a driver.

4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

You can use the applications Delocalize and Monolingual to remove unwanted languages from your OS and applications.

Unfortunately you will need to reinstall the OS if you want the languages back.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Just a tip: Don't remove the US English language. ;)

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Garageband files take up a ton of room, too. So if you aren't using it (and don't intend to), delete anything associated with the program. The iWork trial is nearly 2GB, so that can go, too, again, if you aren't using it.

7. kostia macrumors regular

Some applications do not work if you delocalize them (delete languages inside the packages). Adobe apps are a big example, and will refuse to authenticate or sometimes even run if they aren't "complete." Monolingual has a blacklist for apps that behave like this, but it's never going to be 100% up to date. Just something to look out for.

8. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Wow delocalize is great! 1.3 GB went to the trash!