Printer driving me crazy!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by saucysnook, Oct 18, 2011.

1. saucysnook macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a Samsung ML-1860 printer. Have turned it on, installed the printer driver on the CD that came with it (it says it is compatible with mac), connected it to the USB but still my macbook will not recognise it exists. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted, downloaded the printer driver off the Samsung website and still nothing. Am I missing something incredibly obvious or is this the most annoying printer in the world?

Any help would be very gratefully appreciated as I have a big bit of university work due in next week and need to get printing!!

Thanks!

p.s. I have a MacBook 10.6.8 if that helps...

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You should not have needed to install those drivers off the disk or off of Samsungs website.

What should have happened, is you connect the printer to your machine and turn it on. It should automatically appear in the list of available printers. Though if it doesn't in System Preferences > Print & Scan you press the [+] to add the new printer. It should find it and allow you to add the printer.

If extra drivers are required which aren't installed they should appear in Software Update, as that particular printer appears in Apples list of supported printers.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Of course, you are. Nobody expects the bundled print driver to be up-to-date. You should have downloaded the latest print driver from the Samsung website.

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

You can just let Software Update take care of it, as long as the printer is in Apples list which this one is. As it will install and update the drivers for you.

5. saucysnook thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your suggestions. I've just updated everything and still no luck - it doesn't show up in Print and Fax or when I add new printer....

6. Wheelie macrumors newbie

Bit of a long shot; could the USB cable be faulty?