Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisman9

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Dear Mac users, This is the closest forum I thought to inquire about a printer error message which reads: "print cartridges !" "refer to printer documentation" Not wanting to be, as my appliance-repair friends call it, a "parts monkey" I dont want to spend $55 on 2 new cartridges just to find out that wasnt the problem. So far as I recall, the cartridges both had ink in them. Is there any way you know to 'shake up' the cartridges to get them working again? Any other ideas. And where might I find the 'printer documentation'? I was given this unit and have no manual for it. Thanks for your help

chrisman9

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Dear kschendel, OOOpss, sorry: Hewlett Packard photosmart C5250 "all in one" Thanks for your help

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You can always buy inexpensive generic cartridges on line for much less. They can be used to test with, however, HPs that constantly give printer error messages "print cartridges" might have a defective printer head. If the printer head is defective, the printer is not worth repairing.

You can try cleaning the printer head based on HP instructions. Check this LINK to learn how to clean the HP printer heads.

chrisman9

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
Dear Chscag, Hey, thanks for your suggestion and good link to procedures. Ive read them and will hold out till tomorrow when I can get some distilled water--wait ! I do have bottled drinking water, OK ! I do hope that this unit has a few more years in it. I did get it for free and it is a nice piece of equipment, not much like the $60 cheapo it has replaced which had lasted me for only 18 months before crapping out. It was instructional however with me realizing HP's money is not in the hardware but in the ink. With your help I'll hopefully not need to buy those knock off cartridges. Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.