Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I realize this topic is in the "beating a dead horse" category but I find my HP Envy 5055 has issues with my eero 6E Pro router. It isn't that it does not work, I can hook it up via USB cable. But I prefer pairing it wirelessly. It's automatic wireless pairing method does not work with the eero router, it does not support automatic pairing. Given the security reasons for this I agree. I could access my wireless network manually but this printer does not have a couple of the special characters I use in the PIN for signing into the eero, I am not going to change the BitWarden generated network access code just for this printer. I would like to replace this less than satisfactory printer with something else. The major problem I have with HP printers is with the cartridges. I do not do a lot of printing, months can go by. I have trouble with the cartridges drying out???. I have had some success with removing the cart's and sealing them up in a container with a damp piece of paper towel, but even that is iffy. What brought out the inner Baboon in me this time is I stalled a brand new Black HP cartridge to print a simple form only to be informed the Valuetoner remanufactured HP color cartridge wouldn't work. Is there a similar printer that has cartridges that does not have this problem. The wireless side is a secondary consideration, cables are cheap.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
While I can't really comment on current inkjet printers, if you print infrequently, then laser printers are hard to beat. Toner doesn't dry out.

As for the wireless situation, you may have issues with any printer if you need to enter special characters in the wifi password. I think, however, that I can access the wifi settings (on the printer's config HTML page) for my Brother laser printer when connected to ethernet. So potentially you could enter the special characters this way, and as long as the printer doesn't reject them, it might work. Otherwise you might need a hardwired (USB; ethernet) connection.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming

While I can't really comment on current inkjet printers, if you print infrequently, then laser printers are hard to beat. Toner doesn't dry out.

As for the wireless situation, you may have issues with any printer if you need to enter special characters in the wifi password. I think, however, that I can access the wifi settings (on the printer's config HTML page) for my Brother laser printer when connected to ethernet. So potentially you could enter the special characters this way, and as long as the printer doesn't reject them, it might work. Otherwise you might need a hardwired (USB; ethernet) connection.
looking at the HP laser Jet printers. I used them for many years in an office setting and I never had any trouble with them. Now that I think of it the toner system is completely different from the Deskjet system. I might just spend the money to get on. They are not much more expensive them the top level DeskJets.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have 6 printers of various sizes and capabilities, both laser and inkjet.
Forget HP. They are not cost-effective or particularly good.
For monochrome documents, I suggest get a Brother monochrome laser printer.
For color documents, I suggest get an Epson EcoTank inkjet.
For high quality photo printing, I suggest get a Canon or Epson inkjet with at least 6 ink colors.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Another recommendation for Brother monochrome laser printer. Good value printer and consumables, and reasonable features and quality. No issues experienced if wanting to print after some months without use. Consumables are not chipped with expiration dates like some manufacturers.

Reactions: transmaster

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
To me is your an artist or picture/video corrects then for the perfect traditional printer! For a home user that just print out tax form or work forms at home, then look a laser user printers to save money, they even have color lasers now too!

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
To me is your an artist or picture/video corrects then for the perfect traditional printer! For a home user that just print out tax form or work forms at home, then look a laser user printers to save money, they even have color lasers now too!
I have been looking at refurbished laserjet printers for about $200 bucks. These are machines the cost big bucks when new.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have found my printer solution. as suggested a laserJet is the way to go. toner cart's not ink carts. Was talking to a friend of mine who is a engineer for GE. He runs HP LaserJets he said one thing that sold be, I takes him up to 7 years to use up a toner cartridge with his home system. I realize I don't print photo's but once in a blue moon, and I don't need to print forms in color. I am looking at this HP its price is right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.