Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob lewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
Hi, Mac collectors:

I have a dandy Powermac 7100/66, but I love this antediluvian model. But
today my printer died (I don't think the Mac ever will!), and I can't find another
one with the 8-pin connector. Is there any kind of adapter out there that will work,
or how can I get my "stuff" off of this old Powermac?

Any suggestions on where to pick up a used printer that still uses the 8-pin
connector would be greatly appreciated. Or can I down-loan everything off
the computer onto floppys. Then what?

Bob Lewis

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
ebay, Kijiji, Craigslist, etc.

Research some older-model printers with that connector and just plug in the names as your search terms.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
What OS do you have on it?

Go find a two-year-old networked HP LaserJet. HP has had amazing support for older OSes, supporting OS 9 long after everyone else had abandoned it. And being networked, you don't need to worry about the lack of 8-pin serial. Or just about any HP with a "JetDirect External Print Server" box will do as well.

(A quick search turns up many older HP laser printers for sale at reasonable prices.)

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
The only printer I can recommend is the HP Desk Writer 550C. Its got the connector and the one I used with my Quadra 800, 7100, and 7500. Great printer, and pretty efficient on ink. Not too sure if you can still find the ink for it or not. I'll pop mine open and see what type of cartridge it uses.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Look for any old HP LaserJet with AppleTalk support, or buy an old Apple Laserwriter. I had a 16/600 and it was fantastic. Check Craigslist first, as these things will be heavy and shipping will get spendy. Your Mac will also print over ethernet, so any Postscript printer with ethernet should work as well.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Search eBay for "LaserWriter" and pick up an old Apple LaserWriter. The toner will last you longer than ink, and they are very dependable. Also, drivers will not be trouble since they install with the Mac OS. Toner cartridges are readily accessible on eBay for LaserWriters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.