Printer for iPad use

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stubeeef, Mar 18, 2014.

1. stubeeef, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

My mom is in a retirement home, she shed her iMac and has an iPad Air we got her.
    there is no wireless in the building, we have a hotspot for her- the epson all in one we got her is fried in less than a year-and epson support was sooo bad I'm looking elsewhere (brother/HP/Canon/...?)
    I would like a printer she can print directly to, or will be found on a building wide internet service they are expecting to get.
    I have always had good luck with Brother-but I need a printer she can just print to without a lot of memory items to perform (she's forgetting how to do things and is 81).
    AirPrint needs a wifi network, there seems to be direct print, and others like brother seem to go through an app to print from iOS.
    Help please?
    I want her to hit print and it be sent directly to the printer with no other wifi involved-if possible.

Does anyone have experience with HP Direct print or Brother Wifi Direct using iOS 7.1?

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

HP LaserJet P1102w should do the trick. I've got several wireless printers and this one works great for iPhone/iPad.

Pick one up at BestBuy and try it out. If it doesn't work with the hotspot you can return it. Mine is all wireless but since it's running through my home WiFi (wirelessly) it might be different than the hotspot dongle.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I recommend the Canon Pixma MG5320 and 5520. The ink is cheap on Amazon, they have AirPrint, and are good on ink usage. Either way they will work fine provided you don't get a jerk of a network admin who blocks all sharing even printer discovery.