Printer for Macintosh Plus ?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by SIGNA, Aug 2, 2008.

1. SIGNA macrumors newbie

I just got a Macintosh Plus and need a printer, that works together with it (it´s for some kind of art installation). Does anybody have one for sale, or can anybody tell me, what I have to look for? I´m worried, that I´ll never get a driver nor ink-tape (or whatever is used to print), if ever I would find a printer with a mini-Din-8 connector...

best regards,

S

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would get an Apple Imagewriter I or II off ebay or here. I think you will need an adapter for the I. Just do a quick google search for Imagewriter ribbon and you will find plenty of sources. These printers are quite cheap. I know there is the color imagewriter II but can not remember if it is all Imagewriter II's can do color. Since the Plus is B&W that does not matter anyways. But it would be a nice feature if you added an Apple II variant with a color monitor.

You could also get an old Laserwriter but shipping will be expensive, toners difficult to get and May require System 4 or 6 or greater to run.

Their is also the first stylewriter but may require a more recent System version. Cartridges seem fairly available.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If you run 6.0.8 or later on that thing, the LaserWriter driver will print to just about any Postscript capable laser printer with an Appletalk port. In other words, you have tons of options. Depending on your needs, I'd just get a simple Apple Personal LaserWriter 320 from eBay. Good quality printing, and they're smaller, so it won't cost a ton in shipping.

I had a Apple LaserWriter 16/600PS for awhile, and it was fantastic. That would be another good option if you need a fast, good quality printer. It's a little bigger though, so shipping might be an issue.

And you can always get an ImageWriter II or Stylewriter, but Apple Lasers are just as cheap on eBay, so unless you *need* color, I think a nice laser is the better option.

4. SIGNA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! I will go for the lighter ImageWriter as I have to get it over to europe. It´ll do for my purpose...

S