Printer outputs black and white in colour!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dazzer21, May 25, 2013.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

I have an Epson DX7450 inkjet - it's just one of those multi function A4 devices that I use for quick proofing. I know that the printer is seen by the Mac as an RGB device and that colour mode switching to CMYK is handled by the software. What I want to know is - why is it that when I am printing an image that has been saved from Photoshop in Greyscale mode, when I just print to the Epson using the default settings, it prints out using black AND cyan inks? If I choose to print in black only, that's what it does, but if the original image only contains various shades of black, why does it run down the cyan cartridge as well?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

That is a very good question. The answer is simple. The black toner or ink alone will appear to be dull and gray. Standard practice with black printing is to mix black with blue to make black appear black. Some printers have settings to force the printer to use only the black toner. If this is an issue with you, then you may look around your File/Print dialog box for such a setting for your printer.