printer pausing in Leopard requires admin password

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alstos, Nov 19, 2008.

1. alstos macrumors newbie

In our higher education Mac computer lab, a printer may become paused (I am not sure why). But this requires an administrator password to unpause the printer, which only the admin in another building has. Is there a way to stop this type of activity? What causes a printer to become paused? Is there a way to not require admin status to continue?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If you're a standard user, this is normal - managing print jobs (i.e. pausing the whole printer, deleting jobs that aren't yours, etc.) is a task reserved for the administrator.

As for why the printer's getting in the paused state to begin with - I'm not at all sure why.

3. alstos thread starter macrumors newbie

All I want to do is be able to let them continue by resuming the printer. There does not seem to be any issue regarding a reason for it to hang in the first place. I don't want or need them to be able to do anything else.

4. tribalsimba macrumors newbie

Update to this issue

We have OSX 10.6.1

We are using an HP Laserjet 2840 in the lab, shared by a Windows Server, on the Network. We have the MAC's configured direct to the printer IP, and we also had it connected through SMB to the Windows Print Server. Results are the same.

What we've deducted from our issue is that the printers get paused when the printer is 'offline' due to 'replace toner' events; or 'front panel open'.

So when these events happen on the physical printer itself; the MAC pauses the printer; but then when the printer clears the messages after the problem has been resolved; OSX does not automatically resume printing. It requires an Administrator logon to UnPause the printer.

Help!!!

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

From the terminal command line:

dseditgroup -o edit -p -a staff -t group _lpadmin

This adds normal users to the lpadmin group so they can pause/resume printers.

6. tribalsimba macrumors newbie

How exactly can we use DSEditGroup?

Not sure I fully understand the impact of DSEditGroup as you suggest. I don't have a group named 'STAFF'. What I do have is a Windows Domain; and I need to either add an Active Directory/Domain group the the LPAdmins; or permit the local OSX 'Everyone' or 'Users' membership to LPAdmins.

From: http://krypted.com/mac-os-x/more-group-management-with-dseditgroup/

I’m not in love with how you edit memberships, but here goes:

dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a cedge -t user ladmins

In the above command we defined the node we were editing with the -n followed by the user we were adding to the group with the -a and then the -t for the type of object we’re adding into the group, which is listed last. The reason that you have to put the -t with user in there is because we could just as easily have said:
    dseditgroup -o edit -n /Local/Default -a staff -t group ladmins
    Which would have put a group called staff into the ladmins group (noted by the NestedGroups attribute).

To verify membership, use the checkmember verb (insert witty Beavis and Butthead remark here;). If su’d the following command is likely to report back with the fact that no, root has not been added to the group; otherwise it will look at your currently logged in account:

dseditgroup -o checkmember ladmins

But you can check and see whether my account is a member of your ladmins group with the -m parameter on the command:
    dseditgroup -o checkmember -m cedge ladmins
    Now finally, since no one likes a messy Marvin, to delete our test group:

dseditgroup -o delete -n /LDAPv3/ldap.company.com -u myusername -Pmypassword extragroupdseditgroup -o delete -n /Local/Default ladmins2