Printer Presets-Workaround?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattbray, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mattbray macrumors member

I'm not sure how many of you guys have run into the same problem as I have but I'm finding that Leopard doesn't actually save printer presets. When I select a different preset the settings do not load. I need two presets... One that allows regular document printing on a letter sheet of paper from the main tray of my Photosmart C7280 and another that allows for photo printing from a 4x6 borderless photo tray.

Is there an Applescript or something that would allow me to launch something before I print and have those settings stick? This is getting really annoying. I know this worked under Tiger and we're now at 10.5.4 and there hasn't been anything done about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    Well I have never had your specific problem, but here is what I would try.
    First go to directory utility and enable root user from the edit menu. Then in your browser type in localhost:631. This takes you to the cups web interface (mac os x bases its print system on common unix printing). Then click the Administration tab and click Manage printers. You can manage a lot of print settings from there and set the defaults. :) From my experience this is easier if you authenticate as root.