Printer problem since Mavericks upgrade

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by baxlobs, Jan 26, 2014.

1. baxlobs macrumors regular

I recently got around to installing the Mavericks upgrade, on my iMac 21" 2012. Everything seemed to go OK with no obvious problems, and I prefer the new look of some apps such as Calendar and Contacts.

However I have been trying to print today, and the Canon MG8200 just does not respond except occasionally after I have turned it on and off a time or two.

It is using WiFi, and was often a bit slow to wake up with Mountain Lion but always got there in the end.

I have tried restarting the iMac - no change.

Any suggestions please?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

It's a supported printer so I'd try first testing it while booted into safe mode. If it works OK there, see if maybe something in your login items might be causing a conflict.

If it does the same thing in Safe Mode, delete the printer entirely from OS X and set it up fresh.

3. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks, the printer worked just fine in safe mode.

I then followed the incompatible login items help scenario deleting all, then adding them back one at a time.

rather strangely none of them caused a problem. :confused:

Anyway I seem to back where I started, but with a working printer.

So thanks again for the help.

The only slight clue may be that the original list included "iTunes Helper", but adding them back I could only find iTunes.app, is that relevant?

4. olegunnar macrumors member

iTunes helper is fond of adding itself, I've found, so you shouldn't need to worry much there.

It's monitoring iPod/iPhone/iPad connections to autolaunch iTunes when you connect one of these, as far as I understand.

5. baxlobs thread starter macrumors regular

olegunnar, as you said, iTunes helper has now appeared, and the iTunes.app has vanished from the login items!

The printer still seems to be behaving, so hopefully it will stay that way.