Printer Problems with HP c3180 and wireless - look here ... figured it out

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by deanops, Jul 4, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

Hello all, still having problems with my printer setup...

Ok, so this is my setup

WIN XP COMPUTER - HP C3180 Printer ((usb Connected)

Wireless Router - Cabled to WIN XP, Wireless to Macbook

Macbook

ok so this is what i want to do;

i want the macbook to connect to the printer (through the xp computer) wirelessly, and print....

now, so far i have:
    downloaded the driver installer for os x
    dis/en abled my win firewall (avg)
    activated win print and file sharing
    and yet i cannot get it to find the printer - it is not in the hp list - not anywhere... please help - i can access my xp thru my mac using the smb:// thng... but how can i print???

Please help, thank you very mch!!

2. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

k, figured it out (after an hour on support with apple to no avail):

i, first deleted the hp apps that came in the install disk

thn deleted the c3100 series drvers that were nowhere to be found

and then let my mac think the printer was a hp photosmart 1000 from the drop down list - now it works as just a printer, unfortunatly no scan but very worth it... lol

this is for futere reference for this printer... should i write a guide up?? lol

3. wericvandever macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm having this same problem with the same setup as you. Could you be more specific about which apps and drivers you deleted (on the Macbook or on the PC?)? I have the HP software installed on both computers, yet the Macbook still doesn't recognize the HP over the network.

I tried telling the Macbook that it's a photosmart 1000 like you did, and it starts to print ("Gimp-printing, page 1"), but when it gets to 23% done, an error message "NT_ACCESS_DENIED" pops up. Though the software says it printing, the HP power light doesn't blink and the machinery is silent, so I don't think any message is getting through.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

first of all, go to the photosmart uninstaller on the mac... uninstall the driver and the software... now go to your windows machine, and creat a file and print sharing (its a wizard), and name it so you can find it quickly

possible step.. if you have a firewall on the pc, you might want to disable it, it interferes anytime i want to print

once this is done,on your mac, go to your printer setup utility >> add>> ip printer>> more printers...>> n the top box "windows Printing">> in the next box "Network Neighbourhood">> in the list you should now see all the printers your pc has... >> select your printer>> drop down mennu>> hp>> photosmart 1000

now save and give it a test... get back to me if u dont understand or have any luck (or not)!;)