Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
A couple of days ago I bought a Canon i70, set it up and installed the drivers. All well and good until I tried to print to my Canon i850. The print dialog said no printers were connected and when I went into the print utlity the i850 was recognized but said that the drivers were not installed. I've been using it for months so that isn't correct but never the less I downloaded the drivers from Canons site and tried to install but the installer will not launch. I tried downloading a new version of Suffit but it is just the same, it decompresses but the installer tries to launch and then just stops.
I've repaired permissions, reset pram, no luck. If I navigate to HD>Library>Printers>Canon>BjPrinter>utlities I can run the printer utility and it will print a test pattern with no trouble so it certainly sees the printer. Any help appreciated.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Try disconnecting one printer to see if it works normally, then switch things around and try the other.

There may be a problem with multiple USB printers on the same USB bus. After the above procedure, you might try re-connecting the other printer to a different USB bus, not just a different port, which of course, you must do. :) What do I mean? The ports on the back of the machine are not all connected to the same USB bus. If you have 3 ports, 2 will be connected to the same bus. You probably want to use one of those two for the keyboard.

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Hi and thanks for the reply.
The i70 portable printer isn't connected to my Powerbook, it's in it's travel bag waiting for a life on the road. As soon as I had it up and running I packed it up and went back to my desktop printer. I've tried running it from the other USB port (Powerbook 17" 1.33 Gig) but it's just the same. I'm going to have to throw something away from somewhere (preferences?) but I'm just not sure what from where. I also don't understand why the installer would not launch, most curious.

Cheers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The only thing that I can imagine is that the installer preferences are broken somehow. That should prove interesting when you have something critical you need to install.

You should check in Library/Preferences and Library/Application Support under your home directory.

I would think that I would have similar issues since I have an Epson SC900 and an Epson CX5200 all-in-one connected to the same machine. Epson have some odd way of handling printers, though, and I suspect it's just to avoid conflicts in USB.

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
Canon tech support have just got back to me and they suggest removing all Canon Bj drivers and have told me where and how, the same place that I described in my first message, and then to reinstall any drivers I need from there site. Whether this means that the installer will magically start to work we shall see. I'm away from home for the long weekend but will try it out on Tuesday and post my findings. Thanks for your concern.
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.