Printer quality limitations in OS X over Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Julien, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have a Canon i550 printer and under Windows I can chose 4 different printing qualities and about 6 different paper choices. In OS X I can't find a way to set the quality or type of paper. I even tried re installing the driver from the Canon site. Is there something I'm missing?

Anyone know the answer to this? Is there a way to tell OS X I'm using photo paper and/or want to change the print quality settings? Is it like this for all printers on OS X or is this a limitation on the Canon OS X driver?

Could someone please comment on if there are inherent differences in printing in OS X and Windows? Is there a way to select paper/print quality and if not is this a limitation of the OS X print driver or the OS X system?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Explore the options available in the File/Print dialog box. This is the dialog box that appears when you select Print.... The arrangement of printer features are similar from printer manufacturer to manufacturer, but there may be variations. For my printer, most features are available through the third popup menu for which Copies & Pages is the default selection. Go through each selection to see what it provides. You may also go through the Page Setup... dialog box to familiarize itself with its options.

Word to the Wise: There is no secret fraternity of Macintosh gurus. Most of the most proficient Mac users learned almost everything that they know on their own. The Mac's logical design made it easy for them to learn. Although the Mac has changed a bit over the last 24 years it is still easy to learn. However, you have to be willing to do so.

4. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I looked there and saw no options. However I found the last select box does it. Strangle because it list the current program in it so I thought it was to select an alternant print source. When I click it offers all options.

Thanks, for making me take a second and more thorough look.

[​IMG]

5. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Strangely after a reboot (over 42 days) it now sets to a standard page. Didn't think that OS X could build up these types of corruption errors over time like Windows. This is exactly the kind of thing that would be corrected by a Windows reboot. Of course Windows would never make it 42 days.