Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leverage7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hello,

I just checked the status of my printer rebate (perfect companion with mbp purchase) and it says it was denied because 'A submitted UPC does not match the receipt.' I called the # and was told the same thing, says my printer UPC does not match the product #. I cut off the UPC code that came with the printer and sent that in along with the shipment notification, which they said could be used as the receipt yet they can't help me! My rebate for the ipod and mbp purchase went through ok. Anyone else have an issue with this and get it resolved? Granted, it is $100 but I wasn't planning on getting a printer but figured, it's free, what the heck. I will never buy from Apple again if I do not end up getting this sorted out. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ben

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I had mine denied because they claimed I didn't submit the receipt (which I had), but they gave me two weeks to send it back in.

Where'd you go to further check the status? If they hadn't emailed me, I wouldn't have known the first time.

leverage7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I had mine denied because they claimed I didn't submit the receipt (which I had), but they gave me two weeks to send it back in.

Where'd you go to further check the status? If they hadn't emailed me, I wouldn't have known the first time.

You can check the status at http://www.apple.com/promo/rebate/status.html. The thing that is frustrating is saying the receipt doesn't match the upc. I sent in the only UPC that I had so I don't know of a way to resolve this. They weren't very helpful. He told me to fax in the Order Acknowledgement email, but that has the exact same info as the Shipment notification that I sent them. It makes no sense.

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
You can check the status at http://www.apple.com/promo/rebate/status.html. The thing that is frustrating is saying the receipt doesn't match the upc. I sent in the only UPC that I had so I don't know of a way to resolve this. They weren't very helpful. He told me to fax in the Order Acknowledgement email, but that has the exact same info as the Shipment notification that I sent them. It makes no sense.

At least they were honest and said they got your rebate. I sent in my rebate form with both my original printer and MBP UPC labels.. they claim to have never received it in the mail.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Hmmm. Thanks. They're claiming mine's been fulfilled. Haven't received it yet though.

joyrexus

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
"Perfect Companion" rebate claim denied/rectified

Note that the Apple Rebate Center appears to be denying some of their rebate claims for bogus reasons. I submitted a rebate claim for their "Perfect Companion" promo, which offers a $100 rebate when purchasing a Mac w/ a qualifying printer. My claim was denied, but I followed up and fortunately it was quickly rectified.

Anyway, I append below the email exchange I had with the Apple Rebate Center and a customer service representative. Judge for yourself:

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM, <rebates@applerebatecenter.com> wrote:
Apple Inc.
PO Box 1600
South Bend, IN 46634-1600

Claim ID: 198000590

03/31/2008

Dear J VOIGHT,

Thank you for your recent Apple purchase. Apple Inc. received your rebate claim form and documentation for the Want More? Get .Mac 11 rebate offer. A review of your claim indicates that your purchase does not qualify for the rebate offer for the following reason(s):

-- Purchases made from the reseller noted on your invoice do not qualify.

-- Your purchase was made at an Apple Retail Store or at an Apple Online Store and therefore already qualified for an Instant Rebate.

If you have questions regarding eligibility requirements, please visit http://www.apple.com/promo or call the Apple Rebate Center at 1-877-4-APL-PROMO (1-877-427-5776) between 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. EDT, Monday through Friday. Please have your claim ID available..

To provide feedback to Apple about our rebate offers and process, we welcome you to send an email to debbiesiek@apple.com.

Sincerely,
The Apple Rebate Center Team

Dear Apple Rebate Center,

This is outrageous.

The rebate center claims (see email below) my rebate was denied for the following reasons:

"Purchases made from the reseller noted on your invoice do not qualify."

My order was placed directly through the Apple Online Store. Nowhere in the Terms and Conditions document does it indicate that the Apple Online Store does not qualify.

"Your purchase was made at an Apple Retail Store or at an Apple Online Store and therefore already qualified for an Instant Rebate."

This is a remarkable claim. No "instant rebate" was ever made or indicated as available when I made my purchase. (If I could have received an instant rebate I obviously would not have gone through the inconvenience of cutting up my product boxes, filling out the rebate forms, printing out my various order forms, and mailing everything in.) Nowhere in the Terms and Conditions does it indicate that purchases made via the Apple Online Store are eligible for an instant rebate.

I just called 1-800-MY-APPLE to inquire about this and the customer service rep was unaware of any instant rebate offering for this promotion. (Feel free to verify this. I was told my call would be logged and a note regarding this incident would be added to my account.)

Before taking up this incident with Customer Relations (and Executive Relations if necessary), I would like to request a more thorough explanation of just why my claim is being denied. I've carefully read all the Terms and Conditions and believe I followed the rebate instructions to the letter.

As a lifelong customer of Apple, I expect better of Apple, much better.

Sincerely,

Jason J. Voigt

PS, the following would indicate that I'm not alone in feeling scammed: link to article "The Great Apple Rebate Marketing Scam".

On Apr 1, 2008, at 9:47 AM, debbiesiek@apple.com wrote:

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting Apple. We apologize for the inconvenience.

At your request, Apple will issue a $100.00 credit for the Perfect Companion rebate and send it to your VISA credit-card company within five business days. Please contact your credit card company if you have questions about when the credit will be posted to your account.

Sincerely,

Apple Online Store

closeupman

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Always....

Make A COPY of ALL documentation that you send for a rebate. Then put it in a manilla folder and mark the outside with a label indicating what it is for. This way you have backup in case the above ever happens to you.

Even rebate forms say to do this now, in case they need you to resend anything in.

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
When calling a rebate center for help with a denied claim, move up the food chain until you find someone who can help you. If the person you're talking with can't explain and resolve the problem, ask to speak to their supervisor. If that person says they have no supervisor, ask who you can speak with at a greater level of authority.

The first time I did this, I got my rebate a month early.

The second time I did this, the third person up the telephone food chain was obviously too important to waste time with me, so he quickly corrected the rebate situation so I'd get my $30, and that was that.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Double check the photo copies of the information that you sent them. You should be able to determine if the codes are the same.

You did photocopy everything before you sent it in right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.