Printer Recomendations...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Clackamas, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Clackamas, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

Clackamas macrumors newbie

Hi. I wasn't sure were to place this being new to the forum. But, I would like suggestions on a new printer. My current printers are an HP 1012 and a Brother MFC-295CN. I would like to consolidate. The HP is good, but doesn't do auto-duplex and printer server options aren't working with my mac. the Brother has been okay for the limited about of scanning, photocopying and color printing I have needed. But it's quality is to be expected for a $50 printer.

It's been hard to find a review site that allows me to narrow down based on features I am interested. If anyone has a recommendation for a good printer site, that would be awesome to.

Basically, I need a printer do the following:

Must Haves:
    1. Network capable. Doesn't matter if it is wired or wireless or both.
    2. USB capable.
    3. Automatic Duplex
    4. Scan/copy capable
    5. I am still on the fence about color, but leaning toward color
    6. Must be laser. I do 90% B&W printing and my volume is 500-2000/month. I do not believe ink jets are cheaper than lasers for b&w printing.
    7. Mac, PC and Linux/FreeBSD compatible.
    8. Under $500.

Nice To have:
    1. Photo printing features. But, overall, it's cheaper for me to go to a kiosk and print than have a printer do it. Lasers aren't he best though, and I am more inclined to get a dedicated photo printer.
    2. Budget: Under $300

Don't Cares:
    1. faxing

Thanks in advance for website help and recommendations.

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I like Brother's color laser printers. I just bought a new one yesterday to replace one I had for several years.

I don't care for multi-function printers, but if I were to get one, I'd look at Canon as well as Brother. I wish Epson would make a laser one.

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Have to agree with PeggyD. The mfc8480dn is a nice printer. Use it for my business. Not sure about the Linux/FreeBSD compatibility.