Printer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rp89, Jan 20, 2015.

1. rp89 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I posted this originally in the wrong section, so If a moderator could delete that thread it would be appreciated.

My Epson printer finally broke last night, and I'm in need of a new printer. Preferably I want one with AirPrint, so that I can print from MS Word on my iPad. My question about AirPrint is that does my printer have to be connected to my router, since my router is the living room and the printer will be in the office?

Any recommendations would be helpful, thanks.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The printer has to be on the same network as the iPad which means it has to be "connected" to the router via wifi or ethernet...so not necessarily physically connected to the router.

3. rp89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Any recommendations on a printer which doesn't require a physical connection? I've been looking at the HP Envy 4500, but not too sure if it requires some sort of physical connection to my router.

4. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Are you open to trying another Epson?

I have the Epson Workforce 845 with AirPrint and it works quite well. It also is very economical, with large ink cartridges. This particular model is a couple years old now, but I'm sure that Epson has something similar in their current lineup.

5. rp89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I'm not against Epsons, but haven't really found one in my price range. I'm looking to spend somewhere around £70. I've seen this one which looks like it could work for me, HP Envy 5530

6. Xeridionix macrumors regular

I've always had good luck with Canon's printers.

7. ImBuz macrumors regular

ImBuz

I have Epson XP 600---that works very well wireless

8. carestudio macrumors 6502

Second to Epson XP 600! works well.

9. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Do you need to print color? I've used countless printers and decided to get a cheaper monochrome laser printer and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

10. wongster macrumors regular

i have the hp envy 4504 printer. have it connected to my router wirelessly. able to print from my mac pro, windows laptop, iPhone, and iPad wirelessly with no issues.

11. Edzson macrumors newbie

Edzson

I swore off Epson printers. I don't use a printer often and it seems that every time I needed to print one page one or more heads were clogged. Countless cleaning cycles to finally get a decent print would suck the cartridges dry in no time. I bought a Brother Business Smart printer a few months ago because I liked its design, two sided printing and the option to print 11x17. It prints wirelessly from all my devices and if it sits idle for a few weeks I can count on a good print the first time.

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you are looking at an inkjet printer, then the Canon MG6620 is fantastic. If you want a laser jet, then definitely give Brother printers a good look.