Printer recommendations? Mine bit the dust

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sandman42, Jun 5, 2007.

1. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I need to buy a new printer for light home use. If the price is right I might consider a printer/scanner/copier combination, but really all I want is a consumer-grade device that will print documents and photos (preferably borderless).

We don't use the printer all that often, and my old one (Epson 820) would make crappy prints (one or more ink colors missing) if it sat too long without being used. Naturally the ink was expensive too.

Can anyone recommend a printer that they've had good experiences with, that is reliable and consistently puts out good prints? I'd rather spend a little more and get something reliable, than 'save' now and get something that's not useful.

Thanks!

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

The new Kodak all-in-ones are reasonably priced (starting at $149) and the ink is supposed to be super reasonable a combo pack of color and b&w is less than $23.

3. magicjames92 macrumors regular

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Canon as well. I have a Canon Pixma iP6600D and love it. You could get the next model down and that should be plenty for your needs. I know some printers have built-in card readers (the Canon does) which is nice to transfer my photo's without tying up another usb port. Colors are great and even if you don't use it for some time the heads don't clog up (at least on my last 2 they didn't). Also the ink tanks are seperate and can be found for a good value on Amazon or a fair amount of time at OfficeMax/Depot/Staples.
    I have had an Epson R300 which at first worked wonders but after 6mths. it was junk and the idea of printing on dvds/cds was good but I think that shortened it's life span and it's color accuracy.
    Good luck printer shopping :D

5. discodave macrumors member

I have the Epson R265 and I love it! Ink can be pricey though, but reasonably cheap if you shop online.