Printer recommendations, please?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tybee, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Tybee macrumors member

Tybee

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a new printer, probably in the $200 range. This will be in a network with one of the new Time Capsules and serving two MacBook Pros.

I think I want a color inkjet, and leaning toward an HP, but I don't have a strong brand preference. The printer will be used primarily for documents, but also for some photo printing. Needs to have scanning capabilities. Fax capability doesn't matter since we don't even have a land line. Built in LCD would be nice, but can live without. Duplex (automatic double-sided printing) and scanner feed tray also would be nice to have, but again, not dealbreakers.

I saw a deal today for the HP Officejet J6480 All-in-One for $89 shipped, which is hard to pass up. But there do seem to be some negative reviews for that one. And it just seems prudent to consider all my options.

EDIT: Looking at the Canon Pixma MX850, it looks like a great option as well.

Also wondering what the best way to connect it to the network would be? WiFi, USB to the TC, or Ethernet to the TC?

2. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I'm digging my new C6380 HP all in one.

I picked it up for $130 shipped at Newegg a few weeks ago. Nice photos. Text is good. Worked over airport express (wireless printing.)

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

My advice is to stay way from HP's. Their drivers are absolutely horrible for Mac, and my HP C5180 does not like my iMac or iBook at all. I've heard that Canon has some good printers that cooperate with Macs.

Don

4. Tybee thread starter macrumors member

Tybee

After some more research, I think we're going to go with the Canon PIXMA MX860. The MX850 was MacWorld's top all-in-one last year, and my only reservation with that one was the lack of WiFi. The MX860, released last month, adds WiFi as well as auto-duplex (two-sided) copying, printing and two-way paper feeding, so you can copy and scan two-sided documents without having to re-feed it in the 35-page auto document feeder. The form factor was also improved, IMO. And it's just under $200, so pretty affordable.

The color ink seems pricier than for some other printers I was looking at, but printers always have used a razor & blades model.

5. TenFour macrumors member

Canon MX310 is inexpensive and good quality in every regard... best bang for the buck. If you find that a little to junior grade, any model up in the line will serve you well. The Canon products also work very well with Macs, just check the offerings at your local Apple Store. Having said that, the MX310 has produced some very usable results for me as a design professional; for less than $100, you can't go wrong. As far as networking goes, I've only connected mine as a fax machine, but I'm certain it will do well in any home or home office application. Canon MP600 has similar quality and has LCD display, but it lacks feeding system for scanning/copying and lacks keypad for faxing. In a nutshell, Canon would be my suggestion, regardless of the features/model you choose. I can personally support the rumors Dmac77 mentions... Canons play well with Macs. MX860 is a good bet as you mention, and its the most modern of the bunch. Good Luck!

6. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

My old Epson scanner is having issues. So I'm also looking for a new multifunction in about the $200 range. Fax function is not important. It would likely be direct connected to an Alum iMac so wi-fi probably isn't that important either.

The scanner part should preferably be true 2400dpi optical or better.

I would like the ability to print to printable cd/dvd's. Unfortunately that seems to eliminate current Canon models (I like my old Canon Pixma iP4000 printer).

Ink costs are pretty important. I may be wrong but, as a general rule, it seems that smaller picoliter droplet size likely equates to less expensive printing.

One multifunction that looks attractive to me is the Epson Artisan 700. Does anyone have experience with this model? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

7. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

I've had good luck with the HP c5280 that I bought when I got a Macbook.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am using an Epson Stylus Photo PX700W multifunction, which seems very good. WiFi, Ethernet and USB connections and very quick and quiet.

9. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

We purchased a digital camera and ended up with an Epson RX595 and a Canon iP4500. The Epson is a scanner/copier in addition to a printer.

Both seem great, both have great Mac drivers, both are quiet.

Is there much of a difference between printers now?

mt