Printer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KimTwemlow, Oct 10, 2007.

1. KimTwemlow macrumors newbie

KimTwemlow

Hi all,

Wasn't sure whether to post this in peripherals or here - hope I made the right choice.

I've just spent a couple of hours reading printer reviews on the web and I'm more confused than ever. Can someone with direct experience recommend a simple, sturdy printer for moderate home use - one that they know for a fact works with Airport Express?

I've had a HP PSC1210 for a few years. It wasn't great to begin with and now it won't play nice with my new Airport setup. The problem is something to do with its all-in-one status (printer, photocopier, scanner), I believe, so I'm happy to go with a simple printer this time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (I'm using a 2.16 C2D MacBook if that makes any difference.) Thanks in advance.

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Brother printers are also good.

4. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

I've attached 3 different Canon printers to my AE, all with no printing problems. The only problem I have had is that the MP600 printer/scanner likes to be hard-wired to the computer for scanning purposes, but wireless printing works with it with no difficulties.

Canon printers are also stingy with ink (relatively speaking), and some of the ink is apparently designed to last for over 100 years.

OTOH, I have heard that the price of color laser printers is expected to continue to drop, so depending on when you need the new printer, this could also be an option.

5. NicP macrumors 6502

I have a canon mp800r, its got wireless networking built in, and it does scanning and copying too. The drivers for os x are reasonable, although they dont show how much ink is remaining (but you can look at the screen on the printer for that).

6. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

I've had a Samsung ML-1710 for years. I use it every day with my two Macs, and have never had a problem with it. You can get the equivalent current model, the ML-2510, for less than a hundred bucks new from sellers on Amazon.

7. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

I don't know what your price range is but color lasers are reasonable now, the HP 2600n series is fantastic, built in networking, and the carts that come with it will last the home user just about forever. It doesn't take much printing to make up the cost of the printer in money saved on ink. I think you can find these for around 250 dollars now (compared with nearly 400 dollars we spent on a stylewriter 2400 back in the day its a dern steal).

Personally I've found that the all in one's are never that good at any one thing they are supposed to do, just nab yourself a slim line external USB scanner if you need scanning. Canon makes some decent ones, the LIDE70 (something like that) is what I use.

8. KimTwemlow thread starter macrumors newbie

KimTwemlow