Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I am not sure as to when this happened but as of yesterday, I am not able to print properly. To make sure it is not one Mac, I tested it on two other Macs and here I have the same problem.

I also have the same problem on two different printers, a laser Brother, and a Canon ix6850 A3 bubblejet printer.

I have tested on OS 13.6.3 (I am still using this as I have software that does not work properly under 14)>. And I have a partition on my SSD that has OS14 on it (for testing) and here too I have the same problem.

I give you an example of the problem. I have a jpeg in colour. I want to print it on photo paper in fine print in greyscale. Whatever I try whatever settings I set, it prints it in normal resolution in colour.

Now I see at both sites of the printers that there is no software for these models beyond OS10.x. I therefore suspect these are built in drivers in the Mac OS software. Correct?

What I did so far. Safe boot. Delete all printers and instal again with the printers switched off. Delete all printers and instal again with the printers switched on. Tested and replicated the problem on OS13 and OS14. Reboot computer. Reboot printers. Search on the internet but found no tips that solved it.

So, any tips out there as to how to get this back to normal.

Thanks.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I have noticed odd behaviors with the Print dialog and its Presets in both Monterey and Ventura. The presets don't seem to be honored at times. I'll have to switch to a different preset and switch back for the config to populate properly. Sometimes it doesn't populate properly at all and I will have to manually select options. This doesn't happen every time and I haven't been able to determine a specific scenario which is the cause. At first I considered the presets may have been corrupted or incompatible after an update or upgrade, but deleting and recreating the presets hasn't stopped the random behavior. I only have one HP printer connected via wireless and the drivers are up to date.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I have noticed odd behaviors with the Print dialog and its Presets in both Monterey and Ventura. The presets don't seem to be honored at times. I'll have to switch to a different preset and switch back for the config to populate properly. Sometimes it doesn't populate properly at all and I will have to manually select options. This doesn't happen every time and I haven't been able to determine a specific scenario which is the cause. At first I considered the presets may have been corrupted or incompatible after an update or upgrade, but deleting and recreating the presets hasn't stopped the random behavior. I only have one HP printer connected via wireless and the drivers are up to date.
I have found posts where they talk also about the Pre-sets being funky or the writer thinking they cause the problem. One suggestion was to not have any after a reinstall of the printer. I tried that but it did not solve it.

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Try the manufactures drivers. Sometimes apples build in drivers have issues. I had an issue with my brother printer would freeze up mid scan using apples driver, but just fine with brothers. just when you add the printer, make sure to choose the right driver after you install it.

Reactions: Dana Beck

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Try the manufactures drivers. Sometimes apples build in drivers have issues. I had an issue with my brother printer would freeze up mid scan using apples driver, but just fine with brothers. just when you add the printer, make sure to choose the right driver after you install it.
I did look for those. I have two printers:
Brother MFC-L8650CDW
Canon iX6850

For the Cannon I found drivers for OS13 and OS14 but not for the Brother. Brother seems to stop at OSX. Or do you know where to find them.

You say make sure yo install the manufacturers drivers. How does one know which is which?

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I did look for those. I have two printers:
Brother MFC-L8650CDW
Canon iX6850

For the Cannon I found drivers for OS13 and OS14 but not for the Brother. Brother seems to stop at OSX. Or do you know where to find them.

You say make sure yo install the manufacturers drivers. How does one know which is which?
Just use the latest drivers on the page. Sometimes manufactures don’t always update their pages to account for updates to Mac OS. Also OSX was the old name for Mac OS so there’s that too.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Just use the latest drivers on the page. Sometimes manufactures don’t always update their pages to account for updates to Mac OS. Also OSX was the old name for Mac OS so there’s that too.
aha, I did not know this. Will give it a go.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
What I also realise is that (I think but not 100% sure if it was at exactly at that point but definitely since than) the problems started after I upgrade from OS 12 latest version to OS 13 latest version.

At that point the print window dialog changed. Could it be that at this point the Mac started using different drivers? Or some printer original drivers where outdated?

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
What I also realise is that (I think but not 100% sure if it was at exactly at that point but definitely since than) the problems started after I upgrade from OS 12 latest version to OS 13 latest version.

At that point the print window dialog changed. Could it be that at this point the Mac started using different drivers? Or some printer original drivers where outdated?
As I said, Apple has its own drivers, or at least a driver, built into the os. And it probably updates when you update the os. But yeah, it was Mac OS 12 that broke scanning on my brother printer, when I installed brothers official drivers and, this is important, re added the printer, the scanner worked again just fine.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
when I installed brothers official drivers and, this is important, re added the printer, the scanner worked again just fine.
Thanks, good info. Was there a OS13/14 driver for your printer? See for mine they stoped at OS10 to provide drivers.

Dana Beck

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Thanks, good info. Was there a OS13/14 driver for your printer? See for mine they stoped at OS10 to provide drivers.
I had an issue with my Canon Pixma Pro 100 when I updated, and here's what the Canon Tech told me...two things:

1. If you are on a Mac have you downloaded the Canon driver and added the Canon IJ Series version of the printer in Printers & Scanners? You do not want the Apple AirPrint version.

"LJ" series probably doesn't apply to your printer, but the point is: Don't use the AirPrint version driver.

2. Solution (for me): In the [Print & Fax] window, click the "+" button to register the queue of the applicable driver again after clicking the "-" button to delete the queue of the applicable driver.

This is what worked for me.

Here is the other relevant technical info he gave me, which all applied to me:

• Operating system(s)
    macOS 14 (Sonoma)
    macOS 13 (Ventura)
    macOS 12 (Monterey)
    macOS 11 (Big Sur)
  • History
    [Ver.16.70.0.0] - macOS Ventura 13 has been supported. [Ver.16.60.0.0] - The internal modules have been updated.

File Details
    File version: 16.70.0.0
    File size: 25 MB
    File name: mcpd-mac-pro_100s-16_70_0_0-ea21_3.dmg

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
I had an issue with my Canon Pixma Pro 100 when I updated, and here's what the Canon Tech told me...two things:

1. If you are on a Mac have you downloaded the Canon driver and added the Canon IJ Series version of the printer in Printers & Scanners? You do not want the Apple AirPrint version.

"LJ" series probably doesn't apply to your printer, but the point is: Don't use the AirPrint version driver.

2. Solution (for me): In the [Print & Fax] window, click the "+" button to register the queue of the applicable driver again after clicking the "-" button to delete the queue of the applicable driver.

This is what worked for me.

Here is the other relevant technical info he gave me, which all applied to me:

• Operating system(s)
    macOS 14 (Sonoma)
    macOS 13 (Ventura)
    macOS 12 (Monterey)
    macOS 11 (Big Sur)
  • History
    [Ver.16.70.0.0] - macOS Ventura 13 has been supported. [Ver.16.60.0.0] - The internal modules have been updated.

File Details
    File version: 16.70.0.0
    File size: 25 MB
    File name: mcpd-mac-pro_100s-16_70_0_0-ea21_3.dmg
Dana, thanks for taking the time with this extensive answer.

One question. How does one know what the Canon driver is and what the Apple driver is?

See I see a choice that is: Canon iX6800 IJ Network (mine is IJ not LJ like yours).
And one that is: Canon iX6800 series.

So, I am not sure which one is the Canon Driver or the Apple driver.

And regardless which one I choose I have the same problem.

One question. How does one know what the Canon driver is and what the Apple driver is?

See I see a choice that is: Canon iX6800 IJ Network (mine is IJ not LJ like yours).

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005

Take note of what the name of the Apple driver was and choose the other. If not. You can install the printer twice, each with a different driver. Just name them different and test each one and see if your issues go away.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
Take note of what the name of the Apple driver was and choose the other. If not. You can install the printer twice, each with a different driver. Just name them different and test each one and see if your issues go away.
I do not know how to know whet the Apple driver is. And i did instal both and both have similar problems.

Dana Beck

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I do not know how to know whet the Apple driver is. And i did instal both and both have similar problems.
The Canon driver should be the network...and, specifically, the one with the "IJ" designation. Make sure you are waiting a bit once you switch to the Network driver in System Settings, because it can take up to a minute for the network driver to populate in Printer Settings.

Change Agent

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2018
The Canon driver should be the network...and, specifically, the one with the "IJ" designation. Make sure you are waiting a bit once you switch to the Network driver in System Settings, because it can take up to a minute for the network driver to populate in Printer Settings.
Thanks Dana, I sort of suspected the "IJ" to be the original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.