Printer setup:Please read this, I need help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swisscheese, Feb 28, 2008.

1. swisscheese macrumors newbie

I just bought an Epson Stylus CX5500 and I have a macbook with Mac OS X. I installed all necessary programs etc from the disk supplied but when prompted to choose a printer model the CX 5500 is not on the list. I know this has been addressed in another post but my problem goes further. So I went into the epson drivers.pkg program and clicked install but it says there was an error and to try again, but it hasn't worked even though I have tried again. I went to the epson site and downloaded the three drivers for my printer and operating system, installed them and tried each of them as the 'printer model' but none work when I try to print. So I have tried everything, even choosing the previous model on the model list but nothing has worked. It will scan to my computer but just cannot print as the computer has no way of recognising my printer! Please can anyone offer advice

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Generally, you should install the software that ships with your printer. If Apple includes drivers for your printer with your OS, then you should use that instead of trying to download one from the manufacturer's website.

Your printer is not available in North America. However, I was able to find it on EPSON's Australian website. Its latest drivers are supposed to be Intel- and Leopard-compatible.

My best guess is that you tried to install a new driver without uninstalling the old as recommended by Epson on its website. I recommend that you uninstall your the Epson software and then reinstall only the latest version.

3. swisscheese thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help!

I installed the software that came with the printer, it said 'installation complete' or whatever, I even put the disc back in and chose only the printer driver software to install again. It is now a file on my computer that i can double click on called EpsonPrinterDrivers.pkg and when I follow the prompts to 'install' drivers it starts then says there is an error and to try again. and when i quit out of it it reminds me again that there was an error and it has not installed. well thanks, I didn't know that.
    So that isn't working

My OS doesn't have any printer drivers for my printer already on it, I assume that's why my printer doesn't feature on the printer model list?

Do you mean I should uninstall ALL the software from the disc that came with the printer or just the epson scan like it says on the website? I uninstalled all the epson scan software files and downloaded the epson scan driver, installed it and it doesn't work either. Then I deleted ALL the epson files off my computer, downloaded the Printer Driver 3.8aE and that didn't work.

Really, should I just buy a printer that is on the printer model list of my computer so it will work!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You installed the software that shipped with your printer. Then you downloaded additional drivers from Epson's website and installed them. If I read correctly, then Epson's website said that you should uninstall the old driver before installing the new one. After using Macs since 1989, I have never before seen such a warning for a Mac driver. I assume Epson has its reasons [crappy software]. My experience is that keeping software up-to-date saves a lot of grief, particularly if the updates are free.

I have no idea what you mean by "a printer that is on the printer model list of my computer." My experience is that any printer that is advertised to work with a Mac will work with a Mac. Many that are not advertised to work with a Mac will work with a Mac if they have CUPS drivers. However, I have put inkjets behind me. Inkjet printers are cheap, but I would have to spend all my petroleum extraction royalties on ink. It is PostScript all the way. It is a virtual guarantee that any PostScript printer made in the last 15 or more years will work on any computer with a PostScript print driver. The optional PPD file provides control of the specific features of the printer. I bought my last printer, a Xerox Phaser 8550DP for about $800. Other users love Brother laser printers. Genuine PostScript color laser printers are available for half what I paid for mine. If you have one, then you never have to worry about print drivers or wet print-outs again.