Printer Setup Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chidsuey, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Chidsuey macrumors newbie

I'm trying to setup my HP Printer on my Macbook. When I go to the printer utility, it recognizes it just fine, but it can't find the driver. I've downloaded the driver from the HP website already, but I still can't find it in the list of drivers. Not surprisingly, the HP people were a giant bucket of useless. Can anyone help me?

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Just checking all of the bases here, but after you downloaded it, did you run the installer?

What model of printer are we talking about, and what link did they give you for the driver?

3. Chidsuey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I ran the installer, and it said that installation was successful. The printer is a 5600 series all-in-one HP printer. Even after a restart, the driver still does not appear in the list, even though it says it installed successfully.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

5. Chidsuey thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well, oddly enough that driver version was more updated than the one on the site, but when I install it, it says "Space Required: 0 MB" and then says how much space I have available on my drive. Then it "installs" in under a seconds, and says it's complete. But, nothing has changed. Got any idea?

6. Chidsuey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, when I install it. All it does is install an empty Hewlett Packard folder into my applications.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Make sure your Hp printer is turned on and the USB cable is plugged in.

Then to add the printer, you would go to System preferences, Click on Print & Fax, and then click on the + on the left hand side.

Does your HP printer show up? if not, can you click on "More Printers", and select something about HP (Not HP IP Printing though) from the drop down menu?

I can't get much farther than that because I don't have one of those printers. Try that and let me now what you get...

8. Chidsuey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I can do all that. It recognizes the printer, but can't find a driver for it. I even got the software to install once I turned off the printer (weird) but it didn't recognize the printer through the software. So I still can't set it up.

9. Chidsuey thread starter macrumors newbie

It's still not working, and I've tried everything. Can anyone please help me?