Printer Sharing broken from 10.5 to 10.3.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Hi all so my printer sharing is broken from 10.5 to 10.3.9. Printer setup utility refuses to see the printer listed and entering the IP address etc. manually doesn't work either. Printing from an iBook w/ 10.4 to the 10.3 works, so I'm not sure what's wrong here. Any word on this/ anyone dealt with this problem?
    In case it matters it's an Epson Stylus CX6600 printer, and I have tried printing with multiple apps. Any help appreciated, cheers

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sharing doesn't work from Leopard's side. I'm still waiting for Apple to fix this bug. Was hoping 10.5.1 would fix it, but guess not. 10.4 or earlier can still see Leopard just fine though.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

What? That is stupid. So, even though the MacBook can SEE the iMac that's hardwired to the printer, they can't communicate to send data to the printer? And the update doesn't fix this?

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What OS do you have on the Macbook and iMac? I assume 10.5 on Macbook and 10.3 on iMac. My Macbook running Tiger can see and communicate with the iMac running Leopard that's hardwired to the printer, and is able to send to the printer. However, my iMac can "see" the Macbook but isn't able to communicate, exactly as you described, and it's a bug within Leopard unfortunately.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Yeah, so my iMac is connected to the printer and is running 10.3.9. My iBook with 10.4.9 will print wirelessly through the iMac perfectly. The MacBook with 10.5.0 can see the iMac (though not the iBook?) but does not see the Shared Printer over wireless like the iBook does. As you say I guess this is just a bug related to Leopard, but one weird thing is that the printer doesn't appear in the iMac's System Preferences under Print & Fax, it just says Set Up Printers, though both it and the iBook can still print. If there's no fix yet hopefully there will be one soon...

6. dpbartel macrumors newbie

Printer Sharing broken from 10.5 to 10.3.9

I found this article in the apple support kbase and it worked for me.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306984

10.39 uses cups printing to broadcast shared printing. By default 10.5 only looks for bonjour printers (10.4 and up).

7. alexanderklar macrumors newbie

Works for me

Wonderful, one small line in the Terminal and Printer Sharing works again – I can even use my fax modem over the network again. Thank you very much for the hint!

I think this should be the default setting. I always thought Leopard is such a compatible operating system – but if not it should at least be compatible to its predecessors, right?

Best regards,
    Alexander