Printer sharing - can't access print settings

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mjsmke, Oct 8, 2010.

1. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

I have a room at work with 16 Mac Pros (2009) all with Leopard. They are all on a local network so files can be transfered accross at any time. We have an Epson R285 inkjet connected via USB to one Mac with printer sharing on. All macs can print to this Epson but only 3 of them can access all the print settings (paper type... etc....) in Photoshop.

The same driver has been installed on all Macs and permissions repaired.

I've tried reinstalling drivers and Photoshop but still no luck.

Any ideas will be most appreciated.

2. mjsmke thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. 3282868 macrumors 603

Sorry mate, wish I could help. You're basically using one Mac as a printer "hub" for wireless network printing, but only three Macs are able to access the printer settings when printing? For example, what exactly happens when printing in Photoshop? Normally there would be an expanded window option to chose print quality, paper handling, color correction, etc. This is not happening with all but three of the Macs?

Have you tried uninstalling the printers from the Macs that are giving you trouble, then control-clicking in the list of printers box in System Preferencs and selecting "Reset Printing System" (or such, I forget the exact words)? When I've come across printing inconsistencies I simply start from scratch, but not by uninstalling and reinstalling software/drivers, but by resetting the entire system then simply adding the needed printer.

If you can print with every Mac there should not be a sharing issue. It's odd that there are no printing options when you print. How do you print then? Does any dialog box display or does it just print without giving you a dialog box for printing options? Very odd.

Also, what kind of wireless system is running? Are you simply using a DHCP for each system on a wireless network through a router such as Linksys or Apple Airports? Perhaps getting a router with a USB connection for wireless printing might solve the issue. Printer sharing over many systems through one system DHCP might be taxing (?). No idea.

.... and upgrade to "Snow Leopard"! :p

4. mjsmke thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

All machines are linked to a network hub via ethernet using DHCP. It is the expanded drop down menu in photoshop with the print settings...paper type quality etc.. that i cannot access.

I'll try resetting the printer setting that you recommended. Ive tried reinstalling the drivers a few times but its still the same.

The upgrade to snow leopard cant be done until next year as some of our software wont run on it. I have snow leopard on my own machine tho.