Printer Sharing (connected to Win XP) - where 2 get the PDD file?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by striders, Mar 11, 2009.

1. striders macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have a quite recent printer, a Canon iP90 portable printer that have both WinXP and OSX drivers.

I have installed the OSX drivers (.pkg files) on my late 2008 MacBook Pro (MBP) and the printer works just fine. Canon even install its own application to monitor inks, etc.

I now connect the printer to a Windows XP and share the printer. All the other Windows laptop can use the printer.

I tried to connect to the printer (now shared via Windows XP) from my OSX. (Instructions from http://guides.macrumors.com/Printing...red_PC_Printer)

I assume the driver is already in my MBP because I installed earlier. However, when CUPS asked for the drivers, it did NOT list the printer (Canon IP90). It then ask me to provide the PDD file. I can't find this at all.

So what do I need to do?

2. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I did. As mentioned in my 1st post, I have installed the Canon iP90 drivers and utility on the OSX when I connect the printer directly to the MBP.

Thus, I assume the drivers is already installed in my MBP.

However, the CUPS app didn't list the iP90. It also ask for the "PDD" file.

I opened the .dmg file and click the .pkg file (there is only one) then click "Show Package Contents" to search the file (keyword: drivers, pdd, etc).

I even went to Macintosh HDD -> Library -> Printers -> Canon and look there but to no avail.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

Okay, from what I understand, there are two types of drivers, and for local printers, it does not use the CUPS driver.

The newer Canon printers are not supported by the Gimp-Print drivers included with 10.5. I found a reference to www.printfab.net which may have the driver for your printer included.

I would try there first.

4. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Belvdr. I downloaded the trial and tried again to connect via 2 methods:

1) CUPS via browser
    2) Printers via System Preferences (I added the "Advanced" toolbar button per Apple support page to show "Windows" in the drop-down box)

Neither can see the IP90 driver for some reason. I'll try do some digging to verify.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You will find that all of these are known issues with the Canon iP90.

6. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Shot, that's not good. That means I have to buy a new printer but this time with WiFi built-in. I think the Epson Artisan 800 is a good choice.