Printer Sharing from Leopard to Vista Printer

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by taskmaxter, Jan 11, 2009.

1. taskmaxter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I've been doing some reseach on this and am finally hitting a dead end. I've been trying to print from my new MacBook to a Vista network I have at home to a Canon MP960 printer. Has anyone been successful in print sharing? I was able to set this up as a Line Printer but have not found any suitable drivers for the MP960 - even on Gutenprint.

I may swap out my old wireless router in the future for a new one. If I buy a new router with a USB port on it, would I solve this problem by making the MP960 a Network printer that is hanging off of the router, or do I have the same problem?

Thanks

2. Styler93GSX macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat. I have a macbook that can't see any windows PC. XP or Vista.

I'm running

Black mac book
    Windows XP pc
    Windows Vista pc (printer location)
    Westerly 327w router
    Canon MP450

Mac book can't any of the shared folders on either PC and it shared folders permissions do not act the way I have them set. I have them set on a my folders that me users and everyone can read and write to the folders. I can see the folders in xp and vista but cannot use write permissions.

I too have read and read and read. I have easily over 20 hours of research in this alone. I'm already passed the frustrated point. I think I'm just going to go buy a Time Capsule.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I had a similar problem for a long time. There were two things I had to do to get around it:

(1) Make sure the folders on the PC's are actually set up to be shared (I haven't done this with printer sharing since we use an ethernet-connected printer)

(2) Make sure all the machines are set to look at the same Windows workgroup. I think by default Windows wants to call it MSHOME, or something like that - but if they don't match between Mac and PC it won't work.

4. Bobacus macrumors newbie

I just looked, and it looks like you can get a driver for that printer off of canons website here. I've only done this once before for a customer, but if you can connect to the printer share on vista, install the driver on the mac, and then go to connect to the printer, and when it asks for the driver, you should be able to select it from the list. If your not able to connect to the printer share on vista first, you may have some other issues that need to be worked out first.